Has this been done yet?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Has this been done yet?

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:41 am

Al in Mi wrote:the 50XS is on a Oly WSSM upper which has the larger diameter nut and a larger diameter barrel extension, an Oly exclusive. I don't think there is enough meat in the threaded end of a standard AR15 upper to make it work. I have one of Detechs .243 wssm uppers (which is a Oly), I'll see what I can measure up for differences without pulling it down. Things a laser and I don't want to mess with it too much.

I've looked at this sideways, straight on, backwards, upside down for a couple of years now, and the only option I seen is pulling down a Oly and rebarreling, or the AR10 route which I'm headed for.

If I were entertaining a large bore AR build all over again, it would definitely be based upon an AR10 platform. More flexibility than the Olynpic/Dtech rigs, which I have one of. Too much restriction on bullet and charge weight choices due to the 2.26 inch magazine COL limit.

My 300 WSSM (OSSM) is quite a handful. Shooting it before or after the 450b, my perception has been that it is a more violent reaction than my 450 Bushmaster feels like and the math supports that sensation. Tossing a 150gr bullet at 2950, which is 100 fps below HSM's claimed velocity for their factory loads (that I have not been able to duplicate and have a half-way accurate result with my loads), yields a calculated muzzle energy of 2900 ft/lbs versus the Hornady 450b load that calculates to 2687 ft/lbs at the muzzle. That's not the same as TKO factor, where the 450b eclipses the 300 WSSM though. Of course the flip of that coin is the 300 doesn't drop like a rock out past 200 yds and yes, I consider a 32 inch drop at 250 yards and 50 inches at 300 yards to be like a rock. Different calibers with different missions, that's all.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BillytheKid » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Just a thought here, and I'm no gunsmith, but if the magazine feeds the receiver from the side, like the old sten guns, then all you need is for the empty brass to be just short enough to fall out of the original AR 15 magazine well for downward ejection.

This might allow for much longer ammo to be fired in an AR 15 platform.

Just thinking out loud here.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Stealthshooter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Well I didn't get to build the first one. It looks like these guys are going to offer it in an AR15....they call it the Hush Puppy. I saw one post claiming a 300 grain bullet at 2600FPS.
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:01 am

Stealthshooter wrote:Well I didn't get to build the first one. It looks like these guys are going to offer it in an AR15....they call it the Hush Puppy. I saw one post claiming a 300 grain bullet at 2600FPS.

I can't see an AR15 platform lasting too long tossing 458 Win Mag class of loads. at 4500 ft/lbs of energy, even bolt guns struggle handling that load. With some kind of "Pom-Pom" barrel, they may be able to pull it off, but interchangeability goes to hell and weight would probably go through the ceiling. Just my opinion.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 45r » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:36 pm

If more long range power or accuracy is needed I would go to the AR-10 myself,with the 338fed having enough power or the 260rem or 6.5creedmore for long range accuracy.The weight is why I stick with the AR-15.I'd really like to own a Scar 308.I wouldn't be surprized to see the Scar platform become the rifle the Mil goes to.The only thing that is holding it back I think is the cost.
45r

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:27 pm

45r wrote:If more long range power or accuracy is needed I would go to the AR-10 myself,with the 338fed having enough power or the 260rem or 6.5creedmore for long range accuracy.The weight is why I stick with the AR-15.I'd really like to own a Scar 308.I wouldn't be surprized to see the Scar platform become the rifle the Mil goes to.The only thing that is holding it back I think is the cost.

My sources say, that the SCAR, as good as it is, just doesn't give any real increases over the std AR platform, that would justify the "Monumental Task" of adopting a new weapon system. The watch words are.."we already have debugged technology". Thus there are real concerns about turning the pipeline, upside down, over something new and unproven, just because it looks good. Remember Gents.."Amateurs talk tactics, while Professionals talk Logistics. The general opinions, at this time, is that there are some very well founded concerns about a new logistical pipeline, for what may turn out to be a new Gov Pipe Dream??..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Can you say "AR-10"?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Previous

Return to Reloading