Has this been done yet?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Has this been done yet?

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:38 am

I got a little curious today........I took one of my 300WSM cases and cut it off at the taper. These are the results I come up with. It seems like a very possible idea to me.

Stealthshooter

Re: Has this been done yet?

Postby Larrys1911 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 am

Im not an engineer but I think the 450 is at the max for case rim/head dimensions in a standard bolt AR wise.

So if its the same size or smaller than the 450 yea its probably doable.

Larry
Larrys1911

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:51 am

Olympic arms and dtech offer chambers based off of the wssm. I assume they have the same rim diameter as the wsm.
Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I would bet that Wildcatter is the grand Puba on this question.
It looks like a Beowuff case at first glance. I would drop it one step more and make it
A shouldered case, necking it down to .452 or .410.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I thought about necking it down but I have been wanting to build a 50 Cal.
Stealthshooter

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:49 pm

you will need a OLY WSSM upper and bolt to make it work in a AR15 platform (bigger bolthead and reciever extension). I know a guy in Wisconsin who has built a couple like your looking to do for .500 bullets, and she shoots sweet.

I'm working on something simular for a AR10 platform, but using a full size RUM case cut back for a .500 pill. Have everything but the time to get it rolling. Catter didn't toss me out when I showed it to him, so maybe there is some merits to it!
Al in Mi

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:21 pm

How would I go about having a barrel made for such a thing? Anybody have any idea what kinda speeds could be reached with a 300 grain bullet?
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Stealthshooter,

Not to throw water on your project, because we need all this kind of thinking we can get.

If you put the wsm cartridge on the bolt face, you'll get your answer. It's just too big in diameter, for the standard Ar15bolt. If you rebate the rim enough, to make it work, then the bolt just travels over the case and jams into the middle/side of the new case, causing a catastrophic failure. As it is, the wolf-com guys report this kind of failure all the time () and in the same breath sing the accolades of their junk pile. The wsm case has an even worst relationship, between the case width and whatever you decide the new rim should be, than what the wolf-com guys have.

Something else, one of the major reasons that the wolf-com guys can only do 35,000 psi-MAP is because they don't have enough metal surrounding the cartridge (a problem we don't have and hence why 55,000 psi loads can work for the 450b, provided you have all your other ducks in a safety-row-Not to be tried at home, I have a lab) and with the wsm case you've got to take .020" more out of the chamber, and this when the pressures are at their most critical. So, unless you've got an iron-clad idea to deal with this and the ton of other issues that will pop up, then a standard AR15 is going to be plenty tough.

Now, having said all that, let's get your dream up and running.

First keep in mind that the AR has been chambered in every cartridge and the 20mm cannon round is the end of that line as far as I know. The only reason we've not seen a 105mm on that frame is because I haven't built it yet, but if you can give me a minute or two, I think I can rectify that problem.

So, you can use your cartridge and it's getting to be a cult favorite these days, you've just got to pick an action large enough to sport a larger bolt, then you'll need a bigger carrier, and on and on..

Good luck and I hope you build it..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Larrys1911 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:18 pm

sounds like an AR10/DPMS308 is in youre future..... :D
Larrys1911

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 pm

This is the reason I ask these questions!! I would certainly love to have a 50 cal chambered in the AR but I also want it to out perform the 50beowulf or there isn't much point in doing it.

As far as the feeding problems go.....How do the guys using the wssm based rounds get around this?
Stealthshooter

Next

Return to Reloading