Finally shot my handloads.

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Finally shot my handloads.

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Jeepejeep wrote:OK, I just got a chance to measure the lips on the 3 mags.
The one that doesn't jam: 0.454 at the rear of the lips-0.472 at the front
One that jams once in a while: rear 0.451-0.467 front
One that jams a lot:rear 0.440-0.462 front
I see a pattern here. Tomorrow I'll try to adjust the bad ones to match the good one. What's the best way to open them up a bit?

Also, I cheated and polished the underside of my lips before I ever put a round through the mag. Standard deal using a polishing fob on a dremel arbor and a little buffing compound. Buff and keep moving, checking to see if a q-tip wiped along the lip snags any fibers, end to end. Smooth is good. Ditto on the feed ramp.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby helidude350 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 pm

also check to see that the rounds sit some what level in the mag. I have found that some mags ( no particular brands, but including bushy) let the round ride nose high.
Check to see if the rounds when loaded sit higher in one mag verses the other.
Both conditions can cause the carrier to snag on the case mouth of the next round on its way aft. ( found this when experimenting, trouble shooting my mags).
Whats the round limit for your mags?
If its a mag 223 manufactured, but modded before shipping, is that legal for you? (and the shipper)
what about mag "parts kits" like kaliforny loophole?

Texas is beeger, we needs more rounds :D
helidude350

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give 'em a try. They are 5 round Bushmaster Mags. If the mags were modded outside of NY, I guess they'd be legal.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby akula682 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:19 am

Jeepejeep wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give 'em a try. They are 5 round Bushmaster Mags. If the mags were modded outside of NY, I guess they'd be legal.

I grew up in the hole known as New York State, (i know reside in Alaska),
anyway, back in the 90's i was able to get around the AWB laws by not having a company ship me anything NY had on its list. They wouldnt ship it anyway. But, you can travel to another state, i used to live 20 miles form PA, and buy your suplies there and bring them back... while not totaly legal even if they saw them in the truck they really couldnt do anything about them, i bought them for "parts".
Im sure you can do the same thing now, but since NY has gotten worse, their own version of the AWB, i would take them apart before you came back across the line and keep them out of sight in a bag... if a cop cant see them he cant ask about them, that way you wont have to explain that they are for parts, or that they are for a 450BM. When you get them home modify them to the 10rnd limit and you will be good to go.
In short they cant stop you from bringing them across the state line, you can even have someone you trust buy them for you and mail them to you another "legal" way to do it. As long as you dont use them as a 30 rnd you will be fine. If its a preban you will be fine no matter what. I bought a lot of M14 mags that way and i dont even have a M14, i got them as a just in case i get one, but now i have 2 AR10's and all the mags need is a small mod and they will work in the AR10's.
Josh

"do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson
akula682

Previous

Return to Reloading