Slugging a barrel

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Slugging a barrel

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 pm

I was flipping through videos on slugging a barrel and ran onto this one. I think this guy has a pretty good method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6 ... re=related
Stealthshooter

Re: Slugging a barrel

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Found this also but I'm thinking a fiberglass rod might be better than using a steel rod even though they tape it I still don't like the sound of it. Maybe an old bowfishing arrow would work.

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_Measurin ... nsions.htm
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:03 am

Stealthshooter wrote:Found this also but I'm thinking a fiberglass rod might be better than using a steel rod even though they tape it I still don't like the sound of it. Maybe an old bowfishing arrow would work.

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_Measurin ... nsions.htm

I'll save ya some time and money, my friend.. quote.."Slugging a barrel is the operation of driving a soft lead slug through a bore to determine the bore and groove dimensions". Our Bore and groove dia is the same as the 45 ACP's, but with a 24t. The Bore Standard is .444", the groove Standard is .4515".

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:42 am

The real critical dimension for cast boolit shooting is the throat diameter. Mine is .4535 to the point occupied by the bullet in a chambered round, and my chamber diameter allows me to use boolits sized to .453 as long as I seat them in Hornady factory cases. This dimension is generally not as uniform as the barrel dimensions due to small variations in reamer depth. You could check it by making a cerrosafe casting of your chamber, or just make sure you try the "thunk" test before you load up 100.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:32 pm

The throat dimension was the one I was most worried about with the 450. How do the rifling in the 450 compare to a 45auto? Are they as shallow or did they make them taller? I also plan on slugging the bore of my 45auto it's a Citadel and shoots .452 jacketed bullets very well but I want to make sure I get the right size when I start shooting cast through it.
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:The throat dimension was the one I was most worried about with the 450. How do the rifling in the 450 compare to a 45auto? Are they as shallow or did they make them taller? I also plan on slugging the bore of my 45auto it's a Citadel and shoots .452 jacketed bullets very well but I want to make sure I get the right size when I start shooting cast through it.

Same as the 45acp, which grove dia is .4515, so .452 bullets work without a thought..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading