Oops

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Oops

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:23 pm

So, there I was, at the local Gander Mountain where the clerk just told me that their clearance reloading equipment was an additional 50 percent off. So I picked up a set of brand new Hornaday 204 ruger dies for my prairie poodle blaster for $14.97.

Fast forward....

Couple days later, sitting at the reloading bench, prepped all my brass (once fired) cleaned and set up the dies, decap and size one case just fine, second case = problem. Expander button gets stock in case neck, zip spindle cuts loose and bam. Now I have an expander button and decap pin stuck in the case and not sure how to get it out, or why it happened.

I had the decap pin set at 3/16 below the die like they call for.

Suggestions please. I know it's not a 450 but if appreciate the help.

Thanks.
B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Re: Oops

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Is the case out of the die? I noticed I had to crank the nut down pretty tight on mine to keep the zip spindle from moving.
Stealthshooter

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:01 pm

The case is out of the die. I shall try to crank it in and see what happens. Thanks.

B.

-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:27 pm

You could also cut the bottom of the case off and retrieve it that way. Will sacrifice the case but you will be back to reloading in no time.
Stealthshooter

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks guys. Got out the wrench, tightened er down and we're back in business. Case closed. Thanks again.

B.

-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:20 pm

kottke_35 wrote:Thanks guys. Got out the wrench, tightened er down and we're back in business. Case closed. Thanks again.

B.

It's happened to everyone with a zip spindle. The threads lull you into a sense of security, then it's pucker city. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:21 pm

What else was on sale at Gander Kottke?

I went by Sportsman's yesterday looking for 6.8 SPC components. I didn't go by Gander as they are usually overpriced on components (though I have found some deals on their used guns and a couple new guns there).
Colohunter

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Colohunter wrote:What else was on sale at Gander Kottke?

I went by Sportsman's yesterday looking for 6.8 SPC components. I didn't go by Gander as they are usually overpriced on components (though I have found some deals on their used guns and a couple new guns there).

I've got some real good deals on used guns there. I got my 450 from them to actually, new. A far as components go....just some dies in various calibers, some accurate powder, case tumblers, and various bullets. I didn't go too crazy cause I bought my 44 mag and my dads wetherby (christmas present) all in the same trip. It was an expensive day.

B.

-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Hoot wrote:
kottke_35 wrote:Thanks guys. Got out the wrench, tightened er down and we're back in business. Case closed. Thanks again.

B.

It's happened to everyone with a zip spindle. The threads lull you into a sense of security, then it's pucker city. ;)

Hoot

Haha. Thanks for the info Hoot. It was indeed pucker city. Being my first set of Hornady dies, I now know what to expect.

My next investment will be loading equipment for Thumper. Good thing I ain't married. :D

B.

-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Return to Reloading