SABOTS!!?!?!?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

SABOTS!!?!?!?

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:40 am

so i have been looking at different options for reloading different cartridges (7.62x25), and i saw some pretty interesting results with .30 cal sabots, down to .22 cal...

now.. what about a .45 cal sabot down to .30? basically would be like the new .30 RAR.. but with the plastic sabot, it would have extremely low friction down the tube, thus increasing the velocity out of our barrels..

i did some looking and i couldnt fid any .45 cal sabots, all i can find is .30 cal... i did see a few for black powder, but i dont know gow great of results those would show with the pressures involved..

what do you think?
thebrassnuckles

Re: SABOTS!!?!?!?

Postby NordicRX8 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:so i have been looking at different options for reloading different cartridges (7.62x25), and i saw some pretty interesting results with .30 cal sabots, down to .22 cal...

now.. what about a .45 cal sabot down to .30? basically would be like the new .30 RAR.. but with the plastic sabot, it would have extremely low friction down the tube, thus increasing the velocity out of our barrels..

i did some looking and i couldnt fid any .45 cal sabots, all i can find is .30 cal... i did see a few for black powder, but i dont know gow great of results those would show with the pressures involved..

what do you think?

Sabots are great for muzzleloaders... but on a rifle that uses a gas system, I'm not sure it would be such a good idea.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby dcbeattie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:07 pm

http://www.mmpsabots.com/blue.html
I found some for .35, 40.
But... in one article I found, the guy could not get them to cycle in his 45-70 marlin lever gun or a .45 auto pistol.
So it would be an issue to get them to feed also.....
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby pitted bore » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Sabots have been tried in the 450B. Siringo, who posts on these forums, worked with them about a year ago.

You can read about his results on the calguns forum thread on the 450B. Start with the post dated 02-17-2009 06:08 PM; thread goes on for at least six weeks.

--Bob
Last edited by pitted bore on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pitted bore

Postby Siringo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 pm

I did this last year. Used Hornady 45 sabots with 200 grain .40 cal SST bullets. I used 5744 powder to be on the safe side -- full load. Would not cycle the action. Also, they did not shoot worth a hoot (sorry Hoot). The skirt, while passing over the gas hole, had a 1/10th inch semi-circle blown out due to the gas system. I even cut the skirt off and shot them getting the same results -- the rush of high pressure gas passing over the back of the skirt into the gas hole -- cut a channel in the plastic -- affecting the exit at the muzzle and disturbing the flight of the bullet.

NOW neck the case down to shoot the 40 cal SST would turn it into a realistic 300 yard rifle.
Siringo

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:18 pm

damn.. so.. you are sayin i would need a bolt gun for somethin like that?

or even a .452 barrel for my handi-rifle... mmmm...
thebrassnuckles

Postby Siringo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 pm

I had searched the internet sites on smokeless muzzle loaders before I tried loading these. They use some pretty large charges of smokeless -- way more than the 450 holds. The sabot does not provide much resistance, so pressures are really low.
Siringo

Return to Reloading