Anyone using Magnum primers

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Anyone using Magnum primers

Postby demo_450 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:49 pm

I used some magnum primers last weekend. no problems. no unburnt powder. Any thoughts?
demo_450

Re: Anyone using Magnum primers

Postby MudBug » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:52 pm

I believe that the general difference between standard and magnum primers is the thickness/hardness of the cup, not the amount or formula of the material inside.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:31 am

I found this on the Highroad awhile back for cup thickness althou it doesn't cover all the brands, http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3936874

In both of my FA 454's, the only primers that won't crater back around the firing pin with full house H110 loads, are the Remmy 7 1/2 and the Fed 205m, and according to this chart, they have the thickess cups of all.

How they generated the power rating factor numbers I don't know, guess you'd have to run your loads over a chrono and see if there was any velocity difference between them.
Al in Mi

Postby pitted bore » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Mudbug-

Primers do vary in their "power" as well as thickness of cups. In general the magnum version of a manufacturer's primers is more "powerful" than the non-magnum version.

An excellent introductory article on primers, written by John Barsness, is here:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_55/ai_n31480080/. There's really quite a bit of information in that article that is relevant to chosing a primer for reloading the 450B.

The list of primers in the link that Al in Mi posted from the highroad forum was generated on this web site:
http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm. As the author and developer of the list indicates, the power scale is in relative DMS units ("don't mean squat").

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:22 pm

i know for a fact that when shooting primer powered rubber bullets in my handguns, there's definitely a difference between std & mag!

38spl case w/std primer = 350fps from 2.5" security six; chrony 3ft from muzzle
38spl case w/mag primer=500fps from 2.5" barrel
44spl case w/std primer = 300fps from 3" bulldog at 3ft
44spl case w/mag primer= 400fps from 3" barrel
...also a very noticable flash from cylinder gaps with mag primers.

There's some really good advise on this website... I'd follow their lead when experimenting; the ones that are still alive anyway! :lol:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Return to Reloading