RCBS Rock Chucker for swaging?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: RCBS Rock Chucker for swaging?

Postby MudBug » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Bluehawk wrote:Has anyone tried using the Lee bullet sizers (the ones that get the bullet shoved through from the base, up into the die)? If so...how did they perform on .458 bullets?
I have two great .458 molds from RCBS (300 grain, flat point) and Lyman (Lyman/Gould Express hollow point) I use in my .45-70 and .458 Win Mag and would love to have them shoot through my new Bushmaster!

I use a Rock Chucker and the Lee sizing dies it works just fine.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Bluehawk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi mudbug
Thanks for the reply!
How hard is it to get the gas checks through the .452 die, attached to the bullet, when sizing down from .458" ?
Bluehawk

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 am

Bluehawk wrote:Has anyone tried using the Lee bullet sizers (the ones that get the bullet shoved through from the base, up into the die)? If so...how did they perform on .458 bullets?
I have two great .458 molds from RCBS (300 grain, flat point) and Lyman (Lyman/Gould Express hollow point) I use in my .45-70 and .458 Win Mag and would love to have them shoot through my new Bushmaster!

Pretty much that's the die we're talking about (SKU 90061 - http://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.451.html). Just make sure you push the bullet threw. Otherwise, if you use a bullet to push the bullet out of the contact area, that is in the process of resizing and has not yet released from the resizing area of the die, the pushing bullet will become a flat point shape, which is fine with me, but might be undesirable for someone else..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Bluehawk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 am

Since both my cast bullets are flat points that won't be a problem...and thank you for replying.
Seeing that you are the creator/designer of the .450 Bushmaster, I have another question...My lower is equipped with a standard recoil buffer and spring for 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington...do I need a heavier buffer or stiffer spring to safely handle the .450? I purchased the upper only, just recently, and it came with no op manual...that's why I'm asking.
Thanks again!
Bluehawk

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:12 am

;) you should be good to go with standard spring and buffer... That's what T finally convinced me and I've been Very pleased. But I'll let T tell ya why.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Bluehawk wrote:Since both my cast bullets are flat points that won't be a problem...and thank you for replying.
Seeing that you are the creator/designer of the .450 Bushmaster, I have another question...My lower is equipped with a standard recoil buffer and spring for 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington...do I need a heavier buffer or stiffer spring to safely handle the .450? I purchased the upper only, just recently, and it came with no op manual...that's why I'm asking.
Thanks again!

Noppers. I designed it to function with all of the standard goodies.

Keep in mind that most of the Gee-Wiz Goodies (among them Buffers/Springs) were designed by the match guys, and they have needs that aren't necessarily a good idea for us. In fact, some of the Goodies you speak of can stop functionality all together.

Don't get me wrong, some of the things theses guys on this board have come up with, "Have" helped and have actually improved the system. But my advice, until you get your feet real wet is to stay with standard hardware, you can't go wrong..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Bluehawk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:38 am

Thank you so very much! That was the main issue I was concerned about...now I can stop worrying!!!! :D
Bluehawk

Postby wildcatter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Bluehawk wrote:Thank you so very much! That was the main issue I was concerned about...now I can stop worrying!!!! :D

Worry Wart, wink..

What you need to worry about is, well, umm, look at Texas Sheepdawg's Avatar and you'll get my meaning, right guys??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Bluehawk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah...saw that...and that's why I'm steering clear of that guy! :lol:
Bluehawk

Postby Bluehawk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Well hell...I bought the wrong Lee sizer...I purchased the .452 instead of the .451 ::banging his head on the desk:: :oops:
Bluehawk

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading