Load data

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Load data

Postby bighole » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:55 am

Hello. Another newb to the 450bm. I purchased an upper from buds gun shop. I stuck it on a LRB lower. I have some dies on the way. What bullets have any of you had good results with other than the 250 hornady's. Geeze those things are expensive! I want a good plinking load close to or equal to full power. Do 451 diameter bullets work ok? What about the Hornady 225 gr lever revolution ?? Through the new guy a bone ! Oh I almost forgot , what is anybody using for a Dillon 550 set up? Will the 45auto shell plate work ect...???
"I always herd there were three types of suns in Kansas , sunshine , sunflowers , and sons-a-bitches" The outlaw Josey Wales
bighole

Re: Load data

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:45 am

Welcome aboard!

If you look in the "Reloading for the 450B" forum there is a plethora of information along with the Knowledge Base information. I have worked a lot with two of the other FTX bullets. Here is a link to the thread about my work with the 200gr FTX and here is a link to my work with the 225gr FTX. I have updated the chart for the 200gr FTX to include Lil Gun, but I haven't uploaded it to my file storage account. I intended to do that this evening. There are lots of other member's contributions as well. I highly recommend the 225 FTX as it cost about as much as the 240gr XTP Mag bullets. I am currently working on composing data for a threade about the 240gr XTP much like the two above mentioned threads.

Here's what the 225gr FTX traveling 2250fps can do for five shots at a hundred yards, if you do your job at the trigger. Those are half inch grads.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Yup, the 45acp shell plate will work fine, and good to have you..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:54 pm

I have uploaded the latest load table and added a couple of charts to my 200gr FTX thread. If you've viewed it before, you may have to refresh your browser's view of it to see the changes.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby YoteAddict » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm

bighole wrote:...Oh I almost forgot , what is anybody using for a Dillon 550 set up? ...

Here is a link to my post that explains how my Dillon 550B is setup.
http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78#p499
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
YoteAddict

Postby bighole » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:09 am

The 45 funnel is to short I take it ?
"I always herd there were three types of suns in Kansas , sunshine , sunflowers , and sons-a-bitches" The outlaw Josey Wales
bighole

Postby bighole » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Well guys I fired my first loads today. The firearm in question is --
LRB Arms lower
DPMS lpk ( awful trigger )
Armalite tely stock.
20" BM 450 complete upper with a Winchester bipod attached to the tube. Simmonds whitetail classic with yhm half inch risers.( until I get a eotech w/arms levers.) Anyways enough of that stuff,

Forgot to check the weather. Thermostat said 95 deg. Humidity was high. at least 90% pressure unknown
25yds ( my property is limited)
At that distance a factory Hornady was clocked at 2061.
My load was-
Hornady once fired brass 1.690 ( no trimming , thats just what they were )
cci no 41 primers ( did not clean pockets or uniform )
Hornady 240 gr xtp mag bullets
coal 2.085 ( my sinclair ogive nut does not have .45 cal on it so I'm stuck with coal for now)
30 gr of lil gun.
I know 25yds is not impressive but after 20 rounds I had about a one inch hole in my target and zero malfunctions with my rifle. I was going to work the load up today but when I was going back to my vehicle there was a deputy waiting for me. Two people called , one about noise and the other was "terrified" of "guns" . I normally shoot during the week in the late morning but I have to work for the next eight days so I went late morning today. I know who one of the women is and there is a whole-nother story behind that one I'm not going to touch on. Nothing happened , he just said neighbors are complaining. Which the people that can actually say that honestly don't care. The others live a good ways up the road. My house is down the other way about the same distance and if you are inside you can't here anything. Outside and it is faint. I probably should have waited for a day other than Sunday. Oh well.
bighole

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:53 pm

bighole wrote:Hornady once fired brass 1.690 ( no trimming , thats just what they were )
cci no 41 primers ( did not clean pockets or uniform )
Hornady 240 gr xtp mag bullets
coal 2.085 ( my sinclair ogive nut does not have .45 cal on it so I'm stuck with coal for now)
30 gr of lil gun.

Golly Guys, do I have to sound like a broken record! Now, I'm not sure about the 240xtp's and that OAL, but that load seems awfully light to me. BigHole, I have written about the dangers of light loads, they are real and I saw another one just recently. Better check and then report back and prove me wrong, but in checking, you'll further educate these guys, with the percentage full the case is with your OAL. We need that data, please. If you need me to expound on how to check it I will. If we have a blow up from a reduced load, let's just say, the 450b detractors are monitoring this sight and the world is going to know it, with a negative spin.

Now, don't ya just love Gun-Hater neighbors. My sympathies. One sure cure is to get a whole bunch of buddies over for a shootzen-fest, make lots of noise and suggest that, that will be the norm if they want to complain further. I mean, people always moved out into the country-side, so they could shoot, right? Hey put on the Shootzen-fest and I'll come help and eat your hot dogs too..wink..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bighole » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:04 pm

It was a starting load. I've never herd of a blow up from a light load? Always read and heard to start light ( 20% below max) and work up from there. With those velocities I didn't think it was that light. Certainly not close to max but not childs play either.Could you enlighten me please or post a link.

I have had some buddies over blastin away before. Been shooting on that property for four years and had no problems.I dont shoot that much up there , just handguns and testing mostly. Its not exactly wide open country. Its 11.5 acres. Every neighbor within a quarter mile has that much and more. The person closest to me said " just don't shoot at night please" . I have no problems with that , and can under stand.Several of my neighbors shoot all the time. The person who I think it was dosnt like me to much. Has nothing to do with firearms. Couple years ago some developers tried to get our area incorporated into a municipality. She owns a towing company. When I approached her to discuss putting a "vote no" sign in her yard she said " Get off my property" (kind of like Grand Turino but without the M1). Mean and ugly. They lost pretty big. But we worked hard and spent our own $ , did not have corporate $$ behind us like they did.
bighole

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Sure Bighole, take a Un-Primed case with a seated bullet, to your desired OAL. Drill the primer pocket out to 1/4", 5/16th may even be better. Fill the case with your powder of choice. Somehow, compact the powder. I use the back of a kitchen knife. With your finger over the new hole and the bullet pointed towards the floor, start taping. After about a dozen taps, you'll noticed the level of the powder has gone down. Repeat the process, until you can't get any more powder into the case and the new primer pocket is completely full. This amount represents a slightly compressed load. You can compress more, but it usually is not worth it. Now, this totally full case is the max amount for your OAL, weight it, anything under 80% of that amount is dangerous. The literature likes 80%, but I favor 90% or only a 10% reduction. However, that amount can be too much pressure for a starting load, in which case, another powder is in the offing. We got to do several things all at once. We've got to have enough pressure to function the action, a powder that is not to fast or to slow and at least 80% of capacity.

I just did a cursory google search on "Ballistic Detonation" and came up with this, http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0
There is allot to read and to be understood about this subject, but it is real and something I have seen many times. So, please, adjust a case and tell us the max amount of lil gun you can get into the case, with your bullet and OAL. If you have time, give us the numbers for 296 and any other, bullet-powder combinations you have time for.

Mudder, maybe we ought to have a Starting Loads Section, and or something good about Detonation, consider it..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Next

Return to Reloading