Load data

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Load data

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:15 am

wildcatter wrote:I just did a cursory google search on "Ballistic Detonation" and came up with this, http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0

Folks might want to search for an article they don't have to pay to read. Still, if I were in the fireworks industry and wanted to make better fireworks displays, that article is a must read. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 am

Hoot wrote:Folks might want to search for an article they don't have to pay to read... snip

If you like to read other fellows debate an issue, Heres a good thread regarding light loads and potential repercussions over at THR.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:26 am

I don't know what happened to my last link to an article. But here's what we sometimes see.

I have the RSI Pressure Trace equipment. I like it because it gives me real world results in the weapon at hand as opposed to a Pressure Rifle, that gives very accurate results and is used by SAAMI, but the results in a production rifle are only calculated, to be sure, the calculations are very good, I just think the Pressure Trace is more accurate for the given rifle I have the equipment installed on, which is on my bench, not your results, just mine, get it?

There are many reasons for the secondary wave, most of them a WAG. But you can see here that the normal pressure went up to about 48,000 psi and fell off to 8-9 thou and then a event occurred, sometimes called a "Detonation", with a spike that approaches 120,000 psi. We can discuss the many possibilities to the cause, but it is only important that you understand that a Pressure Wave Event is very much possible with reduced loads.

Though I am about to quote someone else, it speaks as if I wrote it, so here goes..

.."Indeed powder formulators and powder manufacturers have known about this phenomenon for some time. I first heard about it more than 20 years ago, before good instrumentation was readily available, and in reference to ball powders. A friend who worked at one of the powder companies once told me, "If consistency of performance where the only issue in powder design, ball powders would not exist. Ball powders are simply less expensive to manufacture and make it easier to produce ammo with consistent charges." He then went on to explain, " The three primary formulation features of powder is nitrocellulose content (or base material composition), granule shape and granule coatings. If the granule shape is spherical, then coatings become far more important to maintain a desired burn rate. Unfortunately coatings can burn off and are not the most reliable way to maintain a burn rate for every circumstance."..

.."Power companies have no control over how a particular powder will be used. They must rely on ammo manufacturers and those who produce load manuals to keep things safe. Ammo manufacturers and compilers of load manuals do a tremendous job, but there is no way they can anticipate every possible combination that will cause secondary pressures. Given the litigious nature of our society, this is a real touchy subject, and most in the industry would prefer shooters remain ignorant of the phenomenon."..

.."The above chart is typical of what can be seen in some hand loads and factory ammo. The following is a more severe example of secondary pressures provided by a member of a Midwest Highpower club. It is the club's "reference" ammo tested in a commercial lab to around 63,000 PSI but actually produced nearly 120,000 PSI in his old competition AR!.."

.."The "Catch Up Theory"..

.."We do not know if the above load suffered from an accelerated burn rate (problematic with some ball powders), but agree with ballistic engineers about the probable cause."..

.."The area under the pressure curve directly relates to the energy imparted to the bullet. The rise to peak pressure engraves the bullet into the rifling and establishes its initial acceleration down the barrel. The highest rate of acceleration occurs just past the point of maximum pressure. As the bullet travels toward the muzzle, lower pressure coupled with bore friction allows the rate of acceleration (not speed) to fall."..

.."If there is insufficient gas produced by the powder (burn rate too slow), pressure behind the bullet will drop excessively. Then, as the bullet's rate of acceleration falls due to bore friction, gases may "catch up" to the bullet before it exits the barrel and produce a secondary pressure event. In the above load we believe the heat generated from initial ignition coupled with a secondary pressure event increased the burn rate of residual ball powder to near detonation."..

.."Note: Secondary pressures readings taken at the chamber are lower and of longer duration then the actual event due to compression of gases behind the bullet and the time required for expansion and contraction of barrel steel. The above event may have spanned only .1 milliseconds of time but could have reached 150,000 PSI!"..

.."Ball powders do not create the phenomenon of secondary pressures but the resultant pressures can be more severe. Indeed, secondary pressures can even occur when using large extruded powder. When using ball powders it is simply more critical that a powder with the proper burn rate be used to avoid secondary pressures entirely."..

.."In every instance when secondary pressures are detected they can be eliminated by using a faster power, heavier bullet or a bullet with more bore contact area. Normal "tweaking" of loads may change the peak of secondary pressures but will not eliminate the problem. Below is the list of factors we now know can cause secondary pressures."..

1. Powder burn rate too slow for the bullet.
2. Bullet weight too light for the powder's burn rate.
3. Bullet bore contact area less then normal for the bullet weight
4. Barrel longer then normal
5. Bore severely worn or incorrectly lapped (loose/worn toward the muzzle)
6. Moly in bore or moly coated bullets that reduce bore friction

.."We are often asked when secondary pressures are too high. Obviously secondary pressures more than 25,000 or 30,000 PSI at the weakest part of a barrel represent a safety issue. On a more practical note, loads that exhibit secondary pressures often show significant variation in barrel timing (when the bullet exits at the muzzle). Even if the timing does not vary shot to shot, it certainly will when the temperature changes so these loads rarely shoot well. Our advice is simply to avoid all loads that produce secondary pressures and keep peak pressures where they are supposed to be, in the chamber. If you shoot factory ammo, try a different brand. If you reload, use a slightly faster powder or heavier bullet."..

.."I recently had the occasion to work with a friend's .223 Douglas barrel that had shot perhaps 6,000 rounds of an off brand ball powder sold as "Data 2200". My understanding is the powder was actually reject 2230, a powder we know produces secondary pressures in small calibers. The owner shot around 2,000 rounds of the load through the barrel each season, then re chamber his good ol' shooter as the throat washed out. When I looked down the barrel with a bore scope I could see rings just down from the muzzle spaced exactly the amount that was removed from the chamber end each time the barrel was re chambered. This convinced me secondary pressures will eventually damage a good barrel."..

.."No doubt there are shooters who will debate our conclusions. We welcome anyone to pose other possible explanations. The "catch up" theory is the only one we have found both fits the evidence and can be used to eliminate these problems. To date, only shooters who do not have access to pressure testing equipment argue adamantly against the "catch up" theory. Professional Ballisticians we have talked to whose job it is to formulate powder seem to be in full agreement. Even if the theory is not the "entire" explanation, it is certainly useful."..

The preceding quotes were from the RSI Sight, but as I said, I could have written them and was just easier for me to steel them, than rewrite them, and besides, for your edification, it is only important that you know this malady actually exist.

BigBore ask a very important question, I have given the most accurate answer I can, at the moment, for there is much more to learn about this topic.

I have given all this to you, because I have been reading some startling data, about .."Going The Other Way".. and indeed, this can and should be done, but I fear it more than ..Going Up" and little is understood about this subject. I'd wager that many are learning about this for the first time, having never heard or read of it, ever. Now you know why the starting loads are listed at 80%, the problem is they don't tell us 80% of what?..

So Guys, let us not under load our cartridges, unless we actually determine how much powder we can get under a given bullet, at our chosen OAL (Dedicate a case and drill those holes and tap the sides of the case to settle the powder) and do not go under 80% of capacity or what can be described as a 20% reduction, by most Powder Manufacturers. BUT, I like 90% of capacity much better and don't get caught up with overly compressing the loads either, the increased results are marginal and the powder tends to clump up and is difficult to light.

One more thing, we need to be more like BigBore, who seems to know allot about reloading and shooting, but WAS NOT afraid to ask the questions. If we continue to be respectful of the fact that we all have different amounts of experiences and answer those questions reverently, then more questions will be asked and more learning will occur..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 am

Excellent information T !

I'd be more concerned about folks trying to load subsonics with slow powders than H110, Lil Gun and 2400. In my "Going the other way" series, none of my loads are less than 75% max capacity for the bullet seat depth. Just because I didn't post the ratios doesn't mean I didn't check them. I have a pile of drilled out rounds in one of my drawers in the shop for reference. My latest on the XTP bullet has the max capacity listed now that I know it is a required parameter in all load listings on this site.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 am

Cool Hoot, this is why I have suggested that we may need a separate listing for our bullets/OAL/starting loads. In other words.. With the prescribed powder settling techniques..this bullet, this powder, has a case capacity of X amount of grains weight. One then can use what ever percentage off max, he thinks is a safe starting load..

I plan in the near future to try IMR 4756 for sub-sonics, it is a bulky powder for its charge weight. If someone beats me to it, please share the results..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:10 pm

wildcatter wrote:Cool Hoot, this is why I have suggested that we may need a separate listing for our bullets/OAL/starting loads. In other words.. With the prescribed powder settling techniques..this bullet, this powder, has a case capacity of X amount of grains weight. One then can use what ever percentage off max, he thinks is a safe starting load... snip ..t

The "fly in the ointment" of that plan is not everyone can agree on where to seat the bullets. My rifling doesn't start until 2.47, so if there was enough bullet left to hang onto, I'd seat everything I load at 2.25 OAL. I've yet to encounter a reasonable weight bullet that allows me to do so. More realistically, some folks seat until the cannelure reaches the mouth, some seat it halfway in, some bury it. Add to that the "shrinking violet" brass themselves. They are to spec once in their lives and from then on, get shorter each reload cycle. I've got some in the reject box down in the 1.67x inch range and that's only after 3-4 reloads. Most are kissing 1.689-1.691 after two loadings and that's after resizing and evening out the mouths. In case no one has noticed, they shrink unevenly from one side to the other. Put some through a caliper and rotate them while they're between the jaws. They get looser, tighter, looser, tighter as you rotate them. So, I end up trimming the longer side to the same length as the shorter side. Not just my gun either. Same thing in two other people's brass. Tons-a-fun :roll:

Hoot
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah, that is the fly ointment, which is why we'd have to know the individual loader's OAL for every given bullet.

I know what you mean about wishing to load everything to 2.25" OAL. One of the beauties of the LeGendre Side Crimp, is being able to utilize a cannelure to crimp into and if it isn't where you want it, then get yourself a cannelure tool - $139 (http://www.corbins.com/hct-1.htm) and locate the cannelure where you want it, then even a 230's can be seated out to 2.25" (This is one of those bombs I lay on ya'll every so often. Are you listening...narrow crimp + cannelure tool = 2.250" OAL, filling up the mag, making feeding even more reliable and yielding more case capacity, because you are seating the bullet out some more and thus dropping pressures, making an increase in powder amount, to bring the pressures back up to normal and thus, more speed. Speed Kills!). I've not tried the 185-200's yet, but if you make the crimp narrow enough, "maybe" even the 185's could be used at our length, I doubt it, but it'd be worth a try..t

I am sorry if I lost some with that statement about seating the bullet out and dropping pressures. Here's an overly simple explanation, for what happens.

Cartridge X has an OAL of say 2.100" and 38,000psi, seating the bullet out to 2.250" (assuming you can do this and chamber the cartridge) drops the pressures, in some powders dramatically. Now let's just say you dropped the pressures 10,000 psi, by now increasing the powder amount to regain the pressure drop, you got more powder to burn in the barrel, thus more speed. For you Techies, this is way too simple, so please forgive me, I wanted to bring everyone aboard..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:52 pm

T, I think you just described my next project. I have both normal width and narrow width modded Lee FCDs. Both set for variable crimp location. Hmmmm....

Now answer me this:

Why does the bullet on the left have a higher BC than the one on the right?

Ditto for this one?

Equally interesting is the fact that the manufacturer rates both right-side bullets as having the same BC.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 pm

BC's from bullet makers can be very misleading. One -- what velocity did they use to come up with the value? What equipment do they use? REfer to the attached article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bc_not_exist.htm
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Siringo wrote:BC's from bullet makers can be very misleading. One -- what velocity did they use to come up with the value? What equipment do they use? REfer to the attached article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bc_not_exist.htm

Ding, Ding, Ding...Yup all this BC stuff gives me heart burn too and Hoot's very examples causes me pain too, but bullet weight can be a big factor. It all depends on the Drag Models, i.e. G1, G2, G5, G6, G7, G8, GL, GS, look'em up. As BC's sell bullets, the model, that often gives the best BC, usually wins. When this happens, you sight in at say 100yds and know that the program says 45 clicks to hit the target at a different range, all based on the stated BC and you scratch your head after firing, .."where did the bullet go".. I see it all the time, my 200yd, state of the art range and a 8'x 8' target backer, tells all. The only real way to get a good BC you can trust, is to check the speeds at two different ranges, the further apart the better. To be sure, many bullet makers do a great job..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading