Load data

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Load data

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm

For folks wanting to determine different powder capacities without all the drilling etc, I forgot to mention that the Lock-N-Load 450b case is perfect for this. The back of it is drilled out and tapped for the use with the Lock-N-Load assembly already and it is toleranced so different bullets can be slid into it with a little resistance. Once you set your bullet to the depth you're interested in checking, you can throw a wrap of tape around it to keep it more firmly placed while you tamp in the powder. It is not expensive, something like $5.00. Midway has them on clearance right now for $3.18 and if you have the Lock-N-Load assembly, you can check your rifle's leade with different bullets. It's a useful tool for any reloader and cases in many other calibers are available. I have one for each caliber I load.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby thebrassnuckles » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am

Hoot wrote:For folks wanting to determine different powder capacities without all the drilling etc, I forgot to mention that the Lock-N-Load 450b case is perfect for this. The back of it is drilled out and tapped for the use with the Lock-N-Load assembly already and it is toleranced so different bullets can be slid into it with a little resistance. Once you set your bullet to the depth you're interested in checking, you can throw a wrap of tape around it to keep it more firmly placed while you tamp in the powder. It is not expensive, something like $5.00. Midway has them on clearance right now for $3.18 and if you have the Lock-N-Load assembly, you can check your rifle's leade with different bullets. It's a useful tool for any reloader and cases in many other calibers are available. I have one for each caliber I load.

Hoot

my father in-law has one of these, he is in the process of purchasing a tap that matches the threads on the lock-n-load cases, so he can make these for wildcat cartridges he shoots, he said he would make me some if i wanted.
thebrassnuckles

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:14 am

thebrassnuckles wrote:my father in-law has one of these, he is in the process of purchasing a tap that matches the threads on the lock-n-load cases, so he can make these for wildcat cartridges he shoots, he said he would make me some if i wanted.

Yeah, Hornady made sure to use an obscure thread so folks couldn't make their own by running to the local hardware store and buying the tap. I was in that "meanng to get a tap" category for a year or so and finally decided to just buy the cases I needed as they were all standard calibers.

The hardest part with rolling your own is reaming the cases so the bullet slides in and out with just the right resistance. Not too much, not too little. I used a piece of rod stock with sandpaper rolled up on it to give me the desired hole diameter, chucked in my drill press when I tried making one myself, only to discover afterward that the tapped hole was not a commonly available tap. Grrrr....

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Hoot wrote:
thebrassnuckles wrote:my father in-law has one of these, he is in the process of purchasing a tap that matches the threads on the lock-n-load cases, so he can make these for wildcat cartridges he shoots, he said he would make me some if i wanted.

Yeah, Hornady made sure to use an obscure thread so folks couldn't make their own by running to the local hardware store and buying the tap. I was in that "meanng to get a tap" category for a year or so and finally decided to just buy the cases I needed as they were all standard calibers.

The hardest part with rolling your own is reaming the cases so the bullet slides in and out with just the right resistance. Not too much, not too little. I used a piece of rod stock with sandpaper rolled up on it to give me the desired hole diameter, chucked in my drill press when I tried making one myself, only to discover afterward that the tapped hole was not a commonly available tap. Grrrr....

Hoot

Hey Hoot 'ol Boy, just a tip. The out-of-common tap and dies are called specials. You do not want to get a hold of a normal tool supply to get one. For instance our 11/6x24 tap might cost you $300 bucks.

Try these guys, they have a ton of specials and they're cheap too. For instance, using my example.. http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/prod ... WT_Import_
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm

My gosh, they're cheap! I would normally pay 23.00 for one like that at MSC. I'll add them to my tooling links in my bookmarks.
As a confessed tool horde, I thank you.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:30 pm

wildcatter wrote:Try these guys, they have a ton of specials and they're cheap too. For instance, using my example.. http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/prod ... WT_Import_

I ordered that very one from that very site just last week. Best deal I have seen so far.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:31 pm

bighole wrote:I know 25yds is not impressive but after 20 rounds I had about a one inch hole in my target and zero malfunctions with my rifle. I was going to work the load up today but when I was going back to my vehicle there was a deputy waiting for me. Two people called , one about noise and the other was "terrified" of "guns" . I normally shoot during the week in the late morning but I have to work for the next eight days so I went late morning today. I know who one of the women is and there is a whole-nother story behind that one I'm not going to touch on. Nothing happened , he just said neighbors are complaining. Which the people that can actually say that honestly don't care. The others live a good ways up the road. My house is down the other way about the same distance and if you are inside you can't here anything. Outside and it is faint. I probably should have waited for a day other than Sunday. Oh well.

I live out in the middle of nowhere, so I am blessed with a pistol range, 150 yard rifle range and a pretty impressive archery range and none of my neighbors complain. Of course, that might be because some of them are probably not in country legally anyway so they don't want to rock the boat. But my neighbor has paintball wars on his ranch on the weekends out in the creek bottoms. I really wished he wouldn't cuz I want to put deer feeders down in the creek bottoms on my property and I sort of worry about them leaving their scent around down there.
It seems that when I break out the firearms on my place, the neighbors up the road do the same and it sort of sounds like a range war. But inside the house, I can just barely hear the activity on my own range.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote: But my neighbor has paintball wars on his ranch on the weekends out in the creek bottoms. I really wished he wouldn't cuz I want to put deer feeders down in the creek bottoms on my property and I sort of worry about them leaving their scent around down there.
It seems that when I break out the firearms on my place, the neighbors up the road do the same and it sort of sounds like a range war. But inside the house, I can just barely hear the activity on my own range.

You have those with your neighbors too? LOL. I had a deer feeder all summer and was feeding a 2 year old buck until I could take him when he was 4 or 5 but I haven't seen him since modern rifle season started and I am starting to think he was poached.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Previous

Return to Reloading