swift a frame

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

swift a frame

Postby bobbypanterror » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:58 pm

just curious as noone is loading these beastly JHP's ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=555362

think the 325gr swift a frame might be one of the best hunting bullets availabe for the 450 IMO, or it should be given its rep for performance
bobbypanterror

Re: swift a frame

Postby bushmeister » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:32 am

Might be because they cost twice as much?
bushmeister

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Could you quantify why you think it would be good?

Now, if it weighed a lot less and could be pushed a lot faster an "AFrame" might be in order.

I dont know if a bullet over 300 grains is going fast enough to come apart enough to limit penetration.

What did you plan on shooting with them?
Mike

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 am

I'm no expert, and I didn't sleep at a holiday in last night, but the factory offerings for the 450 are 275 grains and they are cooking along at around 2200 fps (if I recall correctly). I am assuming this bullet, since it is a .452 bullet, is designed to expand at a much lower velocity than a rifle bullet and judging by the shape of the nose it's not designed to move as fast as our 450 can send it. It should be difficult to load it slow enough to not expand. Anyways, who needs expansion when you are chucking rock downrange that weigh 300 grains?

If I had the funds and the time and space I might have to checksome of these out.
thebrassnuckles

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 am

they make a 265 and 300gr version also, front core is bonded, hollow point is huge, they will expand and penetrate.

I have a sectional of one someplace, I'll snap a pic when I find it.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:05 am

thebrassnuckles wrote:I'm no expert, and I didn't sleep at a holiday in last night, but the factory offerings for the 450 are 275 grains and they are cooking along at around 2200 fps (if I recall correctly). I am assuming this bullet, since it is a .452 bullet, is designed to expand at a much lower velocity than a rifle bullet and judging by the shape of the nose it's not designed to move as fast as our 450 can send it. It should be difficult to load it slow enough to not expand. Anyways, who needs expansion when you are chucking rock downrange that weigh 300 grains?[/b]

If I had the funds and the time and space I might have to checksome of these out.

Knuckles, I believe we are thinking alike, in that I don't need expansion, in fact expansion limits penetration and after the initial expansion the bullet can travel in any direction, including right back out the entrance hole, as the scare on my cheek attests. If the expansion/penetration does not take it into the vitals, recovery might be problematic.

Consider: We have a bullet, that is bigger in diameter than a 30cal Mag gets after expansion. If one were to use a flat point, tissue disruption is far greater than the expanded 30cal and if that bullet is an FMJ or of a none expandable type, we get penetration that even a expanded 375cal does not get and we out "KILL" that 375 (Even the 230gr RN-FMJ's @ 2500fps+ do more total tissue damage, over the length of the wound channel, than an "Expanded" 30-338-375 calibers can ever do).

I'm about ready with the Range Lab to verify these results from field observations. We are almost on-line with the electronics to be able to answer any question, from primer strike to 200yds () and everything in between) and this "Imperialistically" as opposed to the Subjections we are so used to. My Kill Bullet and the 325gr Barnes Buster is at the top of the list, and then all manor of questions will be answered and I bet Knuckles here will have a bunch of them..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:54 pm

And what is a "Kill Bullet?"

It sounds pretty brutal :twisted:

On a mostly unrelated note, I bought some ranier 230 bullets for my 1911, has anyone put these through a 450?
thebrassnuckles

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:57 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:And what is a "Kill Bullet?"

It sounds pretty brutal :twisted:

On a mostly unrelated note, I bought some ranier 230 bullets for my 1911, has anyone put these through a 450?

If you're talking about the Ranier Lead-Safe plated bullets. I tried some Berry bullets like them. Very pretty bullets but ones I tried made it to the target board, albeit all over the place and spit small shards, one of which almost trashed the display on my chrony. They're soft and once compressed tend not to spring back, so the taper crimp when applied actually made mine looser. Two to three taps and they came out in the inertial puller. All of which relegated them to non-starters with my 450b. YMMV

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:14 am

here is a sectional of a 45cal 300gr Swift. This was from their muzzleloader pack, so has no cannuler but cannulers are cut right on the solid part of the partition.

Front core is bonded, rear isn't. lead looks a little beat up from being in my pocket at the time.

Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 am

Brassknuckles,

Not to Hy-Jack the thread, because the A-Frame would be an excellent bullet, on par with the 325gr Barnes Buster, but to answer Brassknuckles question....

The Kill Bullet..

I've written of it before and many here are anticipating its release. My Kill Bullet, is everything you and I and many others are looking for in a bullet for Dangerous Game. I can't speak too much of it just now, but will soon. Suffice it to say it is a flat nosed bullet that allows us to achieve absolutely incredible speeds and still hold it's shape, with zero weight reduction, minimal-if-any deflection, thus, far, far superior Kills. I've seen performance, with my Kill Bullet (this is my nick-name for it until I can release it's real name, which would give away the secrets before I want them released), that way exceeds the venerable old 458 Winchester Magnum 500gr-RN energies, with this bullet, in our AR, but until I get this Lab electronics hooked up, I don't have the empirical evidence that these pressures are safe yet, but things on the range "Are" really looking fantastic. But until I can verify the things I need to get done with it, and no matter how the final results turn out, "My Kill Bullet" is a Serious Game Changer and you and many others, on this board, will get to try them out first!..t

PS.. Just as I blew the industry away (Many long years ago) when I introduced the Big Bore Craze, for semi-autos military weapons (Holy Cow did they ever scream at the implausibility and the safety, of such a crazy notion!!), this too is going to become controversial. Therefore, you will be so astounded by the quantum leap forward, I suggest you get some really good Loc-Tite for your dropping Jaws..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading