black bear hunting..

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

black bear hunting..

Postby etijsma » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:56 pm

My brother-in-law and I would like to go this year but im at a loss on where to go. this is our first time going for bear, any one have any suggestions without using guides? id rather waste a little then spend alot. i plan on taking the 450 were as my bro is wanting to take a bow, but he wants a grizzly :lol: crazy fool!
etijsma

Re: black bear hunting..

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Colorado and Wyoming have some decent black bear hunting. I hunt blackies in Pennsylvania but you can not use a semi auto there. Northern Michigan has a decent population a well, just a matter of finding someone that will let you hunt em.

Last I checked, tags here in Colorado were around 350 for an out of state, same for wyoming. There is a lot of country that is huntable though. May be worth checking into. If memory serves me correctly, we had left over tags that could be bought over the counter. April 5?...may be the dead line for the draw here in Colorado this year.

Goodluck!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Grizzly with a bow??? Better make sure he wears his running shoes on that hunt! :shock:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 am

A nice sharp Magnus 125 grain broadhead on your favorite shaft with a good 65Lb bow will kill a bear DEAD and Stevie Wonder could follow that blood trail.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby etijsma » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:28 am

you may be right, BUT i sure dont want to be that close to a bear let alone a grizzly. maybe i could use him for bait. ;)
etijsma

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 am

See? That's thinking out of the box!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm probably going here http://allagashguideservice.com/overview this fall. I went there about 5 years ago and though I didn't get a bear (one came in but it was just too dark to get a clean shot) I had a great time, the food was really good, guides were great and a few nice bears were taken. Saw some nice moose too! Sean is a real nice guy and easy to talk to and get along with. If you want to hunt in Northern Maine, and I mean NORTHERN Maine I'd recommend him. I didn't have the Thumper then but sure will use it this time.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Return to Off Topic