Just wanted to say hello!

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Just wanted to say hello!

Postby Shtf45acp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:22 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I've been a long time lurker and I just joined the other day.

I've been reloading for awhile for 45 acp, 223/556, and 308/762. I have numerous hand guns all only in 45 acp. I especially love my collection of Smith&Wesson 625 revolvers from 2.5" up through 5". I also own several AR-10 and AR-15 along with bolt actions in each caliber.

I've recently wanted to do a new build in the AR platform and wanted a big bore fun gun. I have no need to hunt with it because my state (Pennsylvania) does not allow semi rifles for hunting. These will just be range guns, fun, and wow factor.

I came to the conclusion of a 450 Bushmaster or 458 Socom. In the beginning I almost went the way of the socom but was persuaded back to the 450 Bushmaster pretty much for the fact of my vast inventory of 45 caliber handgun bullets. So why not combined my favorite rifle platform with my favorite caliber right?

Now I know the light weight bullets won't be a good selection but here is what I also load. 45 Super! I use this in a Smith&Wesson 625 and load up to low level 460 Rowland velocities. It's extremely fun to mess around with bullets from 185 gr JHP with rocket ship velocity to 250 gr slugs with the power of a dump truck. So why not do the same with the 450 Bushmaster.

I hope this forum is as active as it seemed to be a few years ago. Seems like a lot have stepped away as so many do. I've been reading posts for several days. I can't seem to find this reloading database the mud bug posted. The link is broken and takes you to a url name that no longer exists.

Anyway hopefully I can learn from all of you and I can provide some new insight and useful data to the forum!
Shtf45acp

Re: Just wanted to say hello!

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Welcome aboard (again).
The forum has come a long ways since the AR based 450 Bushmaster was the only game in town and the 250 FTX was the only commercial choice out there. With states previously limited to shotguns and pistols finally allowing "pistol caliber" rifles for deer hunting, there has been a resurgence in interest. My own state (MN) has a shotgun only zone which also allows pistols. Hopefully they'll follow suit as well soon and allow the straight wall caliber rifles in. The biggest growth has come from the bolt action and single shot fans. They have shown the gun industry that "if you build it, they will come." Like the proliferation of many brands of ARs in this caliber, the bolt actions are gaining steam as well. My first love will likely be my last love in the form of 20" AR based platforms. Though they can't muscle up this caliber like a bolt action or single shot, this caliber is just as deadly at 2200fps as it is at 2500fps. Besides, their recoil implulse is a little less though they tend to rock and roll more than heavy hitting bolt actions I have. To a certain extent, until more non-pistol velocity rated bullets become affordable and plentiful, the extra velocity may not buy you much. There are discussions going right now about that.

As you have observed, active participants here come and go as they either find new calibers to explore or having discovered their magic recipes, don't feel compelled to beat the keys as much anymore. There are still a few of us who enjoy overstaying our welcome and plod on. I have my wick dipped in other calibers with the same passion as the 450b but still enjoy helping others as much as our predecessors helped me. That's part of being a community. Sure hope you enjoy participating in topics of interest as the rest of us do. If you didn't know this already, we love Range Reports, both positive and disappointing. There's always something to gain both in sharing and in reading the experiments of others here.

Feel free to ask for help even when its embarrassing. We've all worn those shoes and no one here will knowingly go out of their way to break bad on you.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Off Topic