Ralph Lemayer Lies!

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Ralph Lemayer Lies!

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:10 am

In the latest issue - Jan / Feb 2012 of Bear Hunting Magazine, Ralph Lemayer has his article on .458 SOCOM that reads, in part:

"The rising popularity of the AR15 and its rapid move to the dark timber has generated a need for that kind of muscle in the AR. Other cartridges like .450 Bushmaster or .50 Beowolf were created to fill this void and they are fine cartridges that get the job done, but they both require the rifle be modified. Parts need to be changed to make them function. Buffer springs, unique magazines, different bolt, etc. are all required.

The real cleverness in the design of the .458 SOCOM is that nothing need to be changed but the upper; same magazine as the .223, same buffer spring in the buttstock, same everything. Just get a .458 upper available from Rock River Arms, Teppo Jutsu or other custom builder, get loaded ammo from SBR Ammunition, Corbon or Reeds and go. Your .223 AR has just morphed from a varmint getter to a full-fledged bear stopper by simply changing the upper and no new FFL transfer required. Basically, one gun with two barrels."

What a load of crap!
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Re: Ralph Lemayer Lies!

Postby paulmark3010 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:26 am

That show on Discovery Channel, Sons of Guns, recently had an episode where they "built" a 458 Socom AR to shoot hogs. I bet those 458 Socoms are flying off the shelves now. I wish Will Hayden would have chosen a 450 Bushmaster for that episode. Great publicity. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 am

They sort of made it seem like they where the ones to get a 458 socom to fly out the end of a barrel.
All they did was put a supressor on it.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby FirstNation » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Pardon my french, but I think Will Hayden is a dick. If I treated my employees that way I wouldn't expect them to be around very long...
FirstNation

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:40 pm

FirstNation wrote:Pardon my french, but I think Will Hayden is a dick. If I treated my employees that way I wouldn't expect them to be around very long...

That's what "Reality TV" is all about. Show the dickish side of interesting subjects to keep the uneducated also interested. It's part of the dummying down of our society. Way back when I first got cable, I loved The Learning Channel, Discovery Channel and the History Channel. Now they're more of a freak show, than a means of enlightenment, but boy has their bottom line gone up. :roll: (First Timothy 6:10)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Unfortunately most producers seem to think that it wouldn't be "interesting" if there isn't some conflict. I can't stand most of the "reality" shows.
Colohunter

Postby paulmark3010 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:31 pm

I read where Will and Steph lost their FFL due to some full autos they could not account for during a routine inspection. Now Vince, the guy with all the tattoos, and someone else there has the FFL that Red Jacket is operating under. The story is that Vince is dragging up to start his own business. Now Steph is dating Chris, the apprentice there in the shop. Steph talks Will into giving Chris the lead on this government AR build and he is clueless. You can't make this stuff up. American guns is much better. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby Jeepejeep » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Back to the original story, the only thing he got right is that with the Bushie, you do need to change the follower if you want to use .223 mags unless you get the Sig ones.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 pm

What the heck is that all about? I wouldn't worry though. Wait until they try to find that ammo and at a decent price.
It's a cutthroat industry in sporting goods, guys. I've been there and there are a lot of sporting celebs that in real life, are dismal jerks.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:59 pm

And yet, they get their own TV shows... :roll:

I think we need to set up a "WildCatter and Hoot" show....now THAT would be a real dose of reality! Dawg could be the comic relief...:lol:

Why have all these goober gun writers danced around the one actually successful, functional big-bore AR, namely our 450b??? Did WC p*** in someone's Post Toasties?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Next

Return to Off Topic