Reintroducing Wolves to Southern Colorado Rockies?

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Reintroducing Wolves to Southern Colorado Rockies?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:18 am

BAD IDEA!! But it looks like it's gonna happen.
http://www.fws.gov/alamosa/planning/slv ... 2_web2.pdf
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Reintroducing Wolves to Southern Colorado Rockies?

Postby BayouBob » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 am

We need to re-introduce them to Long Island, Central Park and Nantucket.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Colohunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 am

I scanned through that link and didn't notice the wolf talk, where is it at in the article?
Colohunter

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:11 am

Go watch the movie, "The Grey". After seeing it, you may feel the only place they need to be is on the wall.
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I’ll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

One of my twins spent some time in MN last fall working on a photography project and posting about his adventure in his blog. Here's a snippet from one of his post...

"Not being able to discern the true trail, and being fearful of getting more lost I decided to make camp and hopefully have better luck finding the trail in the morning light. I walked back into the woods a little bit, hung my hammock and threw a bear bag. Not long after I laid down I began to hear the cry of a wolf. It was the first time i'd heard a wolf in person; soon the whole pack joined in on the ghoulish tune. Being lost in the woods at night this was a little unnerving, but simply beautiful at the same time. As I was almost asleep, it started to rain, I put up my fly, the wolves did not seem to enjoy it either and chimed in for an eery lullaby."
http://trevormcclurkin.com/
9x19MdM

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am

BayouBob wrote:We need to re-introduce them to Long Island, Central Park and Nantucket.

And maybe a couple hundred lurking in DC.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:17 pm

I didn't list DC because there are already several thousand there!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Wolves? At least a wolf has a spirit and a loyalty. I don't think labelling politicians as wolves is fair to the wolves. I associate politicians as a more viscious and soulless form of Hyenas.
Hyenas or Hyaenas (from Greek "ὕαινα" - hyaina[1]) are the animals of the family Hyaenidae ( /hɪˈɛnɨdɛ/) of suborder feliforms of the Carnivora. It is the fourth smallest biological family in the Carnivora (consisting of four species), and one of the smallest in the mammalia.[2] Despite their low diversity, hyenas are unique and vital components to most African and some Asian ecosystems.[3]

Although phylogenetically close to felines and viverrids, hyenas are behaviourally and morphologically similar to canines in several aspects (see Convergent evolution); both hyenas and canines are non-arboreal, cursorial hunters that catch prey with their teeth rather than claws. Both eat food quickly and may store it, and their calloused feet with large, blunt, non-retractible nails are adapted for running and making sharp turns. However, the hyenas' grooming, scent marking, defecating habits, mating and parental behaviour are consistent with the behaviour of other feliforms.[4] Although long reputed to be cowardly scavengers, hyenas, especially spotted hyenas, kill as much as 95% of the food they eat,[5] and have been known to drive off leopards or lionesses from their kills. Hyenas are primarily nocturnal animals, but may venture from their lairs in the early morning hours. With the exception of the highly social spotted hyena, hyenas are generally not gregarious animals, though they may live in family groups and congregate at kills.[6]

Hyenas first arose in Eurasia during the Miocene period from viverrid-like ancestors, and developed into two distinct branches; the lightly built dog-like hyenas and the robust bone-crushing hyenas. Although the dog-like hyenas thrived 15 million years ago (with one taxon having colonised North America), they died out after a change in climate along with the arrival of canids into Eurasia. Of the dog-like hyena lineage, only the insectivorous aardwolf survived, while the bone-crushing hyenas (whose extant members are the spotted, brown and striped hyena) became the undisputed top scavengers of Eurasia and Africa.[7]

Hyenas feature prominently in the folklore and mythology of human cultures with which they are sympatric. Hyenas are mostly viewed with fear and contempt, as well as being associated with witchcraft, as their body parts are used as ingredients in traditional medicine. Among the beliefs held by some cultures, hyenas are thought to influence people’s spirits, rob graves, and steal livestock and children.[8]

From Wikipedia.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby tbirdman74 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Article in the local paper says GF&P found one shot in the Black Hills of SD. Guess they're moving in all over.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Return to Off Topic