TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Postby commander faschisto » Tue May 01, 2012 8:34 am

Yet another example of the principle that gross weight can overcome flotation... :o
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Today, I finally had time to put a whole pallet of sand, (56/ 60# Bags), in the tires behind my backstop! Whew! I'm gonna regret it tomorrow. Good news is that not one bag went to waste. Bad news is, 56 bags wasn't enough. Looks like I'm gonna need about 24-30 more.
The fencing is coming along, but slowly.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue May 08, 2012 2:13 am

Sounds like alot of work. I'm glad im a welder with access to tons of steel plate. I made a bullet trap on a small yard trailer axle. It's got a 4'x4' board mounted in front of it to hange targets with a 1/2" thick plate on a 45 degree angle behind it to direct all the bullets into the the ground. It has served me well for many years now, and the nice thing is its protable so I can move it with the 4-wheeler to what ever yardage i want as long as it's within 400yds. It holds up to about anything, though my brother in-laws 25-06 did put some nice dimples in the back plate, but nothing has made it through yet. The 450 hardly scratches the paint. Now if only we had a need for some AR plate at work i could make some really nice silohettes on our cnc plasma.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 08, 2012 2:36 am

I love the sound of bullets hitting steel plates. I'm hoping I can come across more thick stuff soon. I have a regular cutting torch and acetylene/O2 tanks and would love to have a few gongs!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue May 08, 2012 4:39 am

If you can find some A.R. It holds up a lot better. (A.R.= abrasion resistent) It is really hard and doesn't cut all that great with a torch but it is well worth it. Unfortunately where I work it's all structural steel so it's not as tough as I would like but the price is right if you know what I mean ;-)
Wicked Hunter

Postby 9x19MdM » Tue May 08, 2012 7:46 am

Wicked Hunter wrote:Sounds like alot of work. I'm glad im a welder with access to tons of steel plate. I made a bullet trap on a small yard trailer axle. It's got a 4'x4' board mounted in front of it to hange targets with a 1/2" thick plate on a 45 degree angle behind it to direct all the bullets into the the ground. It has served me well for many years now, and the nice thing is its protable so I can move it with the 4-wheeler to what ever yardage i want as long as it's within 400yds. It holds up to about anything, though my brother in-laws 25-06 did put some nice dimples in the back plate, but nothing has made it through yet. The 450 hardly scratches the paint. Now if only we had a need for some AR plate at work i could make some really nice silohettes on our cnc plasma.

PICTURES, we need PICTURES!!
9x19MdM

Postby wildcatter » Tue May 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Wicked Hunter wrote:If you can find some A.R. It holds up a lot better. (A.R.= abrasion resistent) It is really hard and doesn't cut all that great with a torch but it is well worth it. Unfortunately where I work it's all structural steel so it's not as tough as I would like but the price is right if you know what I mean ;-)

Yup, AR #500 or 550 and half inch isn't enough, you'll find this out, when you use the right bullets, at the right speeds, even at a forty-five..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Heres a few pictures of my bullet trap.
As you can see we've got a pretty good trench started at the back of the trap. So much for any bullet recovery though as they all end up as shrapenal.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 pm

My luck, I would shoot out a tire....LOL.
That's pretty sharp. If you laid a sheet of 1/8"- 1/4" steel with angle iron walls under there you might be able to harvest some of that lead.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Wicked Hunter » Wed May 09, 2012 2:17 am

Funny you mention the tires. We didnt shoot one but did have some shrapenal get one so we filled them with that green slime and they are pretty much a solid tire now. I've thaught about catching the lead but i really have no use for it. Plus i figure some day a kid with a metal detector will think he hit the mother load only to find a bunch of lead and copper in a perfectly straight line.
Wicked Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic