TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Got room for a couple of RVs and elect. (120AC only). But you gotta store your own water and wastewater. However, if you got LONG water hoses, I could hook up 2 RVs. But one problem.... It's not finished yet!! It's been raining all afternoon so that's a good thing, but if you get rained on while an RV is parked out in that pasture, your gonna be stranded. Blackland Gumbo Mud will swallow you up. It clogs up even big tractor tires.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:47 pm

I can just see the roadside billboard: "Dawg's Shootin' Range, RV Park, and Massage Parlor, Next Right" :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:29 am

commander faschisto wrote:I can just see the roadside billboard: "Dawg's Shootin' Range, RV Park, and Massage Parlor, Next Right" :lol:

It would serve my neighbors right, after all the hell their chickens and roosters raise 24/7/365. Heck I might just make them open a little Tex Mex Cafe across the road.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Built my new Watershot jug rack this evening. it breaks down easy and will hold about 10 milk jugs.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Built my new Watershot jug rack this evening. it breaks down easy and will hold about 10 milk jugs.

That ought to work well. I wanna hear how well it stands up to repeated shots. With that 4x4, it ought to do fine. My idea was to do the same with wood, like yours, but with 2x4 sides. That way the sides, wouldn't stick up more than 2", acting like a guide for the jugs. 2x6 sides doesn't work, because of the dynamic pressures, blowing them off and the 2x6 base plate alone, doesn't fair well either, but your 4x4, under the base plate, ought to do the trick.

For you guys wanting to do this, find a Milk Bottler, in your AO and they'll fix you up. Sometimes they charge me a small price for jugs and lids and sometimes they don't charge for them. Either way we need to do some standardization, so use the twist-on lids, in this fashion, we can all be doing things Samey-Samey. Make your bottle shots do real "Work", in other words, just don't shoot them for fun, do some "Relative Comparisons". You'll still have the fun, but you'll also be accomplishing something worth-while.

Now, I think we should use our 250ftx "Factory Load" as THE "Comparable Prognostic Factor". So, if a bunch of us can do 5,6,7 jugs, at 25ft, then when we shoot, say 230gr Ball, under the same conditions, we have some useful Data, for choosing a possible "Work-Load", for a particular Mission, especially as we start using other bullets in this comparison.

What could also be very useful, is to grab a ballistics program, plumb-in the proper BC and see what the bullet speed is at 200yds. With that 200yd data, one could make custom loads that are going that speed, when fired at 25ft. It matters not, that the firearm wont cycle, because all we are looking for is, compatible terminal ballistics on Milk-Jugs vs Bullet Construction and comparing that data, to other known's (Hoot, help me out here, you do this DATA-Stuff for a living). However, pay very close attention to the dangers of under loaded, "Squib-Loads". Many of us use fillers, under such occasions. So, if your are not sure ask and someone here will espouse their "Opinions". And Opinions are all they are and they might just be wrong and unsafe and should be treated as dangerous. You must keep in mind that you, the experimenter, in this endeavor, ARE the final Arbitrator, of safety issues and it matters not that you read a great way to do this, You, and You Alone, are the responsible party and only "You" can keep things safe, or not. Know the Rules and do this right or bad things happen. Under NO circumstances, use 296/H110 to do this, their are warnings galore about the dangers of a 3%, under-charge, using these two powders and a possible Detonation/Pressure Wave Event. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you are probably a candidate, "FOR-NOT-DOING-ANY-OF-THIS-TESTING"!!

The Good-News is, we should be able to start building a Terminal Effects, Data-Base, that will become very useful, for choosing the proper bullet for the mission at hand. Then when an inquiry comes in about a particular bullet, the answer will start out.."What are your Mission Requirements"..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:58 pm

I've got load data for scaling the 200gr Barnes XPB. Getting there taught me that even with grits filler, the results down low vary enough that you should shoot your water shots over a chrony to be certain what simulated distance you are obtaining with that reduced load. Don't be surprised if the bullets penetrate more milk jugs the slower you go. Yes slower. At least in the case of expanding point bullets as the mushroom acts like a "drag chute", slowing them down faster. The less velocity, the less the expansion. QuickLoad was in the ballpark predicting reduced loads, but not reliable enough to load and assume. You still need to chrony. If the chrony, the jugs and the rifle are too awkward a setup, or you're worrying about splashback (and you should), there is a solution. As fastidiously as possible, load up two or three closely matched reduced loads for each step. Write on them with a sharpie so you don't get them mixed up. Do your water shot and chrony separately. The third round is real handy in case your water shot veers off course and exits the jugs off to one side before running out of gas. I've had to re-shoot several for that reason despite aiming very carefully. It really helps if you bind them as already suggested with duct tape. End for end and individually around the support board.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Okay....It's been a week since I shot this video and it's taken that long to figure out how to publish REAL HD video. This is my very first shot at HD. The software is a lot more comprehensive and it is going to take me a while to figure it out. For those of you who want to try this, be advised, This little video upgrade has ended up costing me a small fortune. So look very long and hard before you leap. (Unless you have about $4 grand laying around.) I found out the hard way. It's a good thing that I have a Fry's account. I ended up buying a iMac 27" with the 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 Graphics, with 4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM, and a Terabyte of Hard drive.
Now before you view this video, it was shot originally in 1280X960 at 48 frames per second. (Mid quality).
The editing software diluted it even more. Like I say, this software is totally new to me. So give me a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcrlSuxe ... plpp_video
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm

I love it when you talk nerdy to us... ;)

Very cool video, too!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 am

Took a different step to make this video. Same camera with same settings. Used only iMovie software and skipped using the GoPro software.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2tdTop5 ... ata_player
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Okay....It's been a week since I shot this video and it's taken that long to figure out how to publish REAL HD video. This is my very first shot at HD. The software is a lot more comprehensive and it is going to take me a while to figure it out. For those of you who want to try this, be advised, This little video upgrade has ended up costing me a small fortune. So look very long and hard before you leap. (Unless you have about $4 grand laying around.) I found out the hard way. It's a good thing that I have a Fry's account. I ended up buying a iMac 27" with the 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 Graphics, with 4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM, and a Terabyte of Hard drive.
Now before you view this video, it was shot originally in 1280X960 at 48 frames per second. (Mid quality).
The editing software diluted it even more. Like I say, this software is totally new to me. So give me a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcrlSuxe ... plpp_video

And you wanted to just upgrade your mother board...you're welcome! =p lol

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic