Acquitted!

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Acquitted!

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:54 pm

:) nuff said! :D
:? I guess the civil suit will follow now :x
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Re: Acquitted!

Postby Nosparks » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Its my understanding they cant file a civil suit in a case of self defense. This is not the same as OJ Simpson he was charged and acquitted of straight up murder. So a civil case was legal to file and it was won by the victims families. I may be mistaken but I am 80% sure, the only thing he has to worry about is retaliation from some lunatic that thinks he should have been found guilty.
Nosparks

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Nosparks wrote:Its my understanding they cant file a civil suit in a case of self defense. This is not the same as OJ Simpson he was charged and acquitted of straight up murder. So a civil case was legal to file and it was won by the victims families. I may be mistaken but I am 80% sure, the only thing he has to worry about is retaliation from some lunatic that thinks he should have been found guilty.

They can file a civil suit, regardless of the not guilty verdict on the state charges, and the feds can file a hate crime lawsuit as well.

In a wrongful death action against Zimmerman, Martin’s family would need to show he was culpable only by a preponderance of the evidence, according to Peter Grenier, a personal injury lawyer at Bode & Grenier LLP in Washington. The criminal case and acquittal, decided on the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, would be irrelevant to the civil suit under Florida law, Grenier said."

However, a federal suit is much less likely to be successful (but never underestimate the vengence of the Holder DOJ).

The big problem, as a report at the McClatchy news service notes, is that “after interviewing nearly three dozen people in the George Zimmerman murder case, the FBI found no evidence that racial bias was a motivating factor in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.”

Here is the artcle from Human Events - http://www.humanevents.com/2013/07/15/will-zimmerman-face-federal-civil-rights-charges/.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby MudBug » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
They can file a civil suit, regardless of the not guilty verdict on the state charges

Absolutely not true. Florida has a law much like the law we have here in AZ that states if you were found not guilty in a criminal case then you can't be tried in a civil case.

Not if they can link GZ to his HOA as a representative because of the civilian watch program (Even though he was not working that night) they might be able to sue them, but GZ can not be tried in a civil court for this.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 am

MudBug wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:
They can file a civil suit, regardless of the not guilty verdict on the state charges

Absolutely not true. Florida has a law much like the law we have here in AZ that states if you were found not guilty in a criminal case then you can't be tried in a civil case.

Not if they can link GZ to his HOA as a representative because of the civilian watch program (Even though he was not working that night) they might be able to sue them, but GZ can not be tried in a civil court for this.

I think he would be tried on a different charge in a civil suit, not related to self defense. Also, the Martin family has already sued the HOA under the rationale that GZ was acting as their agent in his capacity as a neighborhood watch member. The HOA reportedly settled for something north of $1 million.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:33 pm

I have my mags loaded and Ar's oiled up just in case some "peaceful" protesters decide to crash my house for dinner. Good Lord, its only been 7 months since the second term and this country keeps going downhill. No, I will not try to understand why it's ok for a group of people to premeditate a riot and the public looks the other way when it comes down to those criminal charges. Is the national guard suited and booted?
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Return to Off Topic