Firearms Transport Cases

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Firearms Transport Cases

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 pm

There are a few posts on firearms transport cases on the forum - a search for Pelican cases will get you to many. I recently ordered two cases to transport a take down shotgun. It would also accommodate a disassembled AR type modern sporting rifle.

I first ordered Calebas Molded Takedown Case, IK-23-1098 on the basis of the price and features. It is here http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Armor-Xtreme-Molded-Takedown-Shotgun-Hard-Case/1318398.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmolded%2Brifle%2Btakedown%2Bcase%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D10%26y%3D12&Ntt=molded+rifle+takedown+case&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products. It was $159 plus tax and shipping.

Shortly thereafter, I found the iM3100 Pelican case on the OpticsPlanet website at http://www.opticsplanet.com/storm-case-im3100.html. It was $185, but with free shipping and no tax. It was also featured in a video on how to cut out the foam interior at http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-prepare-a-gun-case.html?nldata=563/13/856f87c3a73029fc7b405141ef559a3c&&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=howtoguides13.

I ordered the Pelican case based on my previous experience with them and the nominal fee of $7.50 that Cabelas would charge for a return.

Either case would be suitable for hard duty in the back of a pickup or left to the tender mercies of baggage handlers at the airline of your choice, but I ended up keeping the Pelican and returning the Cabelas. Both are virtually the same size, but the Pelican is a little over a pound lighter. In addition, the Pelican has six latches (four on the long side and one at each end) that require a central button to be pushed before they open. The Cabelas has two latches only, but they are metal and of the twist to unlatch type - in my opinion a better latch than found on the Pelican, but they only secure one side. Similarly, the Pelican has four hinges on the side opposite the latches, while the Cabelas has only two. Both have handles on the long side and top, both have equalization valves, and both have wheels. The Pelican wheels are the common skateboard type, while the Cabelas wheels are wider and a little smaller in diameter.

Now I need to get a couple extra pieces of foam so that I can custom fit several firearms.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: Firearms Transport Cases

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a fan of the SKB rifle cases. They make a single and a double rifle case. Not the same features of the pelican but they are sturdy and have a $1500 asset protection that comes with every case they sell. The double rifle case features the TSA safety latches with lock feature. Keeps the TSA from forcing open your case like they did to my dad when he flew from MI to CO for a hunt.

He was traveling with a cheapo double rifle case and when we picked it up at baggage claim, the case had been pried open, had he been carrying other equipment or a pistol in the case it would have been lost. The scope on his rifle, a leupold, had been knocked around so much his hits were off by more than a foot!

Anyway,

Thank you for the write up!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby BD1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:01 pm

I've been though a few rifle cases :( But since I've using the Pelican case , 5 trips across the country , 3 by airline, two driving. No damage so far. I think that more latches, more hinges and more locks make the difference.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby MarkCO » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Obviously there are a lot of options. Most of the 3Gunners who travel on the airlines regularly don't use the Pelican/Storm cases. We have to take 3 to 4 guns and getting them in one foam lined case is a PITA, especially trying to make weight.

The 6 to 8 locks on a $60 to $90 Plano, with either the full hinge or the 4 hinges are durable cases. Tear out all the foam and then put your guns in tightly fit soft cases. Pack them in and surround them with other gear, even some foam blocks.

The benefits are a soft case at your destination. If they do get opened, the fondling is less and the chance for damage reduced. There are guys that fly this way more than a dozen times a year and it is the best proven method to make weight, keep your guns secure, and save some money. Now, there are a few that use the hard golf bag airline cases with the same method of soft cases inside. An added layer of security. Always have a spare set of locks, just in case.

In most cases, the reason a hard case would be opened without you present is that there was loose ammo in the case (detected by xray), and you were already gone. Make it a point to accompany the bag to the screening area and STAY there until it goes on the belt or gets approved. All airports are a little different. Heck I flew out of Dulles the week of the Navy Yard shooting and they never even opened up my case.
MarkCO

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Good point about traveling with multiple firearms and using soft cases as padding inside a hard case. It would be a real advantage to have a soft case on arrival when going out in the field or range.

TSA is not "authorized" to open a firearms case without you being present. That is why the cases may(and should) be locked with a non-TSA lock. It's also why you should get to the airport early, if you are shipping a firearm, so that you can be present, when it is processed. On the other hand, in the case reported, where TSA had forced the locks due to the absence of the passenger, at least you had your firearm at your destination. I could see TSA refusing to ship the cased firearm, if they hadn't opened it for inspection for loose ammo, or whatever.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to Off Topic