Like a Bad Penny, I'm Back

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Like a Bad Penny, I'm Back

Postby Nosparks » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:19 pm

WOW, yeah what a response!

Yes solar panels always produce some power during the day, but will be greatly reduced on cloudy days unless they are UV panels. Generally UV panels are used for heating, such as solar water heaters. Secondly you need a unobstructed south facing roof or yard area to get the full blast of sun all day. There are many companies that are putting in systems that will produce 30kw-64kw in residential applications. Granted southern states benefit the most from solar. If you are planning to go full time off the grid you will have battery maintenance just like Hoot explained. The amount of batteries is determined by the amount (amps) you plan on drawing continuously. To few batteries and you wont last a long, you can never have to many IMO. I believe that most batteries used for this purpose are deep cycle batteries. Particular size of battery I do not know.
I'm not a solar expert by any means. Knowing where you live, with the snow and all you will need a some kind of generator to give you power or to charge your batteries during the winter. This is why I recommend the inverter style generator, they are quiet and use far less fuel. Even if it is Gasoline/ethanol, you will make out better than propane or natural gas. The Honda 2000EUI boasts 9.5 hours at 1/2 load on 1.1 gallons of gas. I assume they have similar values for their larger models. When researching generators you want to see what their peak output is and what they will maintain. Peak is the surge caused by electrical motors starting or heating elements running. They should also give you gallons per hour per load ratio as well. Remember that your house is only single phase 120/230 volt and most industrial/manufacturing building are 3 phase of various voltage configurations,(not sure what your shop power is). A 3 phase generator will work on a single phase system when wired correctly but single phase will not run 3 phase equipment with out added components.
I suggest you contact a Solar Company and let them come in, tell you everything you need. Get all the details from them, panel types sizes, batteries info and have them explain how they are going to install it. Then kick them out, go on line and order all the stuff they just tried to sell you for 100% mark up. Install it yourself and give the power company their last check! That is if you feel your capable of doing it, which I believe you are.

When it comes to electricity it is much the same as reloading. If you do not understand or obey the rules you will go boom and you may not survive! Also if local laws require permitting, you may need to hire a contractor. Its kind of difficult to hide solar panels from code enforcement officials. And the fines for working with out a permit are definitely greater than just getting the permit in the first place.
Nosparks

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Also, if you live in a HOA, (Residential Gestapo), your choice of solar is going to quickly bring the lawyers to your front door.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 pm

I think Tim is his only neighbor, being a man of his position. So he sets the rules in his HOA. :D
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 am

Ok guys, I'm in idaho right now. I did the SHOT SHOW, I wont be home for at least two weeks.

I'm painfully writing this from my cell, fat fingers and all.

When I get home I'll fully report on industry affairs.

At Christmas time I mailed several packages to members, on the same day, of course they were lost in the Christmas rush.

Good News, I think?? The PO says they found them?? Suposedly they will be waiting me when I get home?? To which, I will resend.

Seems they were found in a hidden corner with five other bags of unsorted mail. Looks to me that the comnunity organizers might have been at work again??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 am

Good to hear you survived. But we are all wondering. Were you the one taunting the ATF with bumper stickers? LOL.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Duncan980 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:27 am

I am down here in Crawfordville and have a Champion dual fuel, two years old. No problems at all .I run on propane and marine gas , non ethanol. I have been thru many canes with generators . Just run for several hours in morn and several hours in eve . Hooking into house system has never been necessary for me as all I try to run is reffer and freezer . My pump will hold pressure for enuf to get thru the day . Shower at nite when generator is running . Another advantage to not hooking in to house is if I like my neighbors I can run their refrig for a couple hours . It is not necessary to run more than 5 or 6 hours a day .
Duncan980

Previous

Return to Off Topic