Hey, Tim LeGendre, how do you prounounce your last name???

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Hey, Tim LeGendre, how do you prounounce your last name???

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Serious question here.

Is it "Legend-Air", "Legen-dree", perhaps "Le-John", or another pronounciation?

I just want to show respect by saying your name properly when having discussions with my brother and/or friends.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Re: Hey, Tim LeGendre, how do you prounounce your last name???

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:03 pm

BillytheKid wrote:Serious question here.

Is it "Legend-Air", "Legen-dree", perhaps "Le-John", or another pronunciation?

I just want to show respect by saying your name properly when having discussions with my brother and/or friends.

Bill

Chuckling...Well William, let's see if we can do this in print form, Legend-Air is out. Le-John-dra, rolling the D, is the correct French Pronunciation. My Family came from France, settling French Canada, eah. My ump-Teen-th Great Grand Father being the first George Washington type in Canada. But We're Americans and Reserve the right to screw anything up we want, Right? So, here is the Americanized version, the one I grew up with and the one I use today. There are three syllables in the name. The Le is pronounced "La" as in a song la, la, la. The Gen has the emphasis, and is pronounced Gen, as in Generator. and the third syllable is the "dre", but that looks like it should be said as Dreee and it's not, but if you spelled it like it sounds it would look like this "Der" as in drum, but just the dr sound. So, put it all together, spelling it like it sounds, La-Gen-dr, correctly spelled LeGendre.

Now it matter not how you say it, just say it time to Hunt, and I'm there. Thanks for the respect. Your turn now, where are you from Bill, what do you do, and what holds your interests, common spill all the sordid beans?..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:57 pm

wildcatter wrote: Thanks for the respect. Your turn now, where are you from Bill, what do you do, and what holds your interests, common spill all the sordid beans?..t

No problem, and I think your answer to this question has earned it's place in the FAQ ! LOL

As for me, Dad was Army, so we lived in several states, and in Japan for almost 4 years. But I grew up mostly in California. Was a Martial Arts instructor for some 25 years or so, eventually going to the 1987 World Kung Fu Championships held in the Republic of China. As part of our self-defense offerings, we also taught a combat pistol course - which I did well enough to become one of the rangemasters for the couse. Unfortunately those jobs never really paid well. I have some wonderful memories of working at The Japan Woodworker store for about 6 years, and I learned a lot there about fine quality, hand forged tools and knives.

About 3-1/2 years ago, I was offered a much higher paying job as a milkman, delivering dairy products to fine restraunts in the financial district of San Francisco ( yes, it truely takes a "Black Belt" to drive a bobtail truck around that area ). I hated to leave The Japan Woodworker, but I just couldn't say "no" to Teamsters benefits!

Was a Boy Scout through my youth, and eventually became a Scoutmaster when my son became a Scout. We pretty much built the troop from scratch, and we gained a reputation for being one of the very best "High Adventure" troops in all of northern California. I was asked to stay on after my son graduated and joined the Army. After being there for some 10 years, a new parent volunteered to be the Committee Chair, then came to me saying I was "too militant", and he insisted the boys do not need to wear proper uniform, even for Eagle Scout ceremonies, and he was going to stop them from marching in flag ceremonies. With my mother constantly in the hospital lately, I just didnt have the energy to continue, and resigned.

My son came back from Afghanistan, and I was looking for a way to keep the special bond, as well as re-bond with my brother. With my brother being an avid hunter for decades now, I figured he could help my son and I become hunters too. As a coming home gift, my brother gave AR-15 stripped lowers to my son, and also to me. I was interested in hunting dangerous game, and my brother suggested researching the .450 Bushmaster uppers. I purchased one, put the rifle together, went looking for more .450b info, and here I am!
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Way Cool, Bill.. My son too became an Eagle Scout, about 20 years ago. I am a merit badge counselor now. Martial Arts seems to be a big thing for you. You wouldn't happen to know "Great Grandmaster Allen J. Chinn"? http://www.akungfumasters.com/about.html He's a member here and is also a Historian and is writing a book about the 450 Bushmaster and it's history. I think he's in your AO..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:20 pm

wildcatter wrote:Way Cool, Bill.. My son too became an Eagle Scout, about 20 years ago. I am a merit badge counselor now. Martial Arts seems to be a big thing for you. You wouldn't happen to know "Great Grandmaster Allen J. Chinn"? http://www.akungfumasters.com/about.html He's a member here and is also a Historian and is writing a book about the 450 Bushmaster and it's history. I think he's in your AO..t

Thank you.

I don't know him, but his name certainly is familiar, though I have been out of it for a long, long time now.

Here is one of a few old VHS tapes I converted and uploaded from way back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJgI7vCmds

Bill
BillytheKid

Postby BayouBob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm

I absolutely love the people on this forum! I think Tim invented a magical cartridge. Not only does it make critters fall down dead it makes owners act like civil adults. On any other forum I belong to, this thread would already have 3 posts telling Tim he didn't know how to spell his own name, much less pronounce it. 2 would have chimed in to tell the other 3 their mothers wear combat boots and several lurkers would have jumped in to tell us about how a friend of a friend knew someone whose 450 blew up while it was sitting in the gun cabinet unloaded and we are all fools to even think about owning one! I don't know any of the other members personally (although I'm going to get Tim down here in the swamps to work on the hogs some day) but reading on the forum is like sitting around the campfire with a bunch of good friends.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 pm

BayouBob wrote:I absolutely love the people on this forum! I think Tim invented a magical cartridge. Not only does it make critters fall down dead it makes owners act like civil adults. On any other forum I belong to, this thread would already have 3 posts telling Tim he didn't know how to spell his own name, much less pronounce it. 2 would have chimed in to tell the other 3 their mothers wear combat boots and several lurkers would have jumped in to tell us about how a friend of a friend knew someone whose 450 blew up while it was sitting in the gun cabinet unloaded and we are all fools to even think about owning one! I don't know any of the other members personally (although I'm going to get Tim down here in the swamps to work on the hogs some day) but reading on the forum is like sitting around the campfire with a bunch of good friends.

I quite agree Robert and don't offer too much, cause I'll show up and go Gator Wrestling, wit-ya all. I one time cough a Ferocious Salamander, so I guess that's close to gators, ain't-it?..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby gunnut » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 am

BayouBob wrote:I absolutely love the people on this forum! I think Tim invented a magical cartridge. Not only does it make critters fall down dead it makes owners act like civil adults. On any other forum I belong to, this thread would already have 3 posts telling Tim he didn't know how to spell his own name, much less pronounce it. 2 would have chimed in to tell the other 3 their mothers wear combat boots and several lurkers would have jumped in to tell us about how a friend of a friend knew someone whose 450 blew up while it was sitting in the gun cabinet unloaded and we are all fools to even think about owning one! I don't know any of the other members personally (although I'm going to get Tim down here in the swamps to work on the hogs some day) but reading on the forum is like sitting around the campfire with a bunch of good friends.

I think this firearm & cartridge attracts larger caliber people!,.. More thought process involved. :D
gunnut

Postby Ghost Dog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm

I've always wanted a big bore rifle, this forum had a role with my choice of the .450 -20 inch barrel.
The knowlegde, respect and comradery are exceptional.
I'm not much of poster but I had to chime in.
Thanks

Truly a "magical round"
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:32 am

BillytheKid wrote:Serious question here.

Is it "Legend-Air", "Legen-dree", perhaps "Le-John", or another pronounciation?

Bill

Having grown up and gone to school in Louisiana, I think
I will just continue to pronounce it French. It's got class.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Off Topic