Message from Wildcatter

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Message from Wildcatter

Postby helidude350 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:18 pm

all this talk of ballistics...........

I got a deer out of season with the company rented 3/4 ton chevy pick up.
truck had about $2000 worth of damage with less than 1000 miles on the odometer and me about 10 days on the job.

not the kill that was expected. ( a major thumbs down for anti lock brakes on American cars :evil: )

while we were in town looking for a way to solve the deer's plight, someone else picked him up.

I don't know if he was rescued, or put on the pit.
helidude350

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:44 pm

Back in 84, I saw a fresh road kill deer on the side of the road. There was still steam coming from her breath but she was totally done. I drove on to the Vo Tech, (Forestry School), and told the instructor I found a fresh killed deer. So we all decided to make it a field day. We loaded up in our trucks and drove back out to the deer. We loaded it up in my truck, and took it out to the woods where we dressed, skinned and quartered the doe. We managed to salvage one shoulder, some neck meat, and both hind quarters. I ended up with the back straps. But one of her shoulders was totally mushed and her lungs were jello.
Forestry school was the best class that I ever took. We had archery practice every day for our lunch breaks. The class was perfect for a outdoorsman or Hunter. Unfortunately, that was about the same time that the timber industry took a dive due to the environmentalists and their stupid spotted owl crap.
They closed my school before I could complete the whole program.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:09 am

My last deer was a spike buck. I was in a stand and he came walking right towards me from a creek bottom. We were up on the Red River near Paris,TX. At about 25 Yards with the deer facing me. It was thick woods. I was using my 30-06 and my Nosler 150 Grain Ballistic tips. The bullet hit right square in the chest neck between the shoulders and angled off into the right hindquarter. It's a shot that one would consider a "DRT".
However. The deer had other plans. He spun around and bolted back down into the bottom and up the far side of the creek, running through some if the thickest junk you could imagine and he finally collapsed 80 yards away from where I shot him. It was a easy blood trail and I only used it out of habit, but I had followed his crashing and thrashing to establish his final resting place.
My point is, my shot was indeed perfect and his heart and lungs were jello. Where he found the strength to run that far? All I can say is, Adrenaline is a powerful motivator. Because he certainly didn't have the heart, or oxygen or circulatory system to make that death run.
If you don't connect with or cause initial shock to the CNS, you're gonna have a runner no matter how good a shot you are.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:My last deer was a spike buck. I was in a stand and he came walking right towards me from a creek bottom. We were up on the Red River near Paris,TX. At about 25 Yards with the deer facing me. It was thick woods. I was using my 30-06 and my Nosler 150 Grain Ballistic tips. The bullet hit right square in the chest neck between the shoulders and angled off into the right hindquarter. It's a shot that one would consider a "DRT".
However. The deer had other plans. He spun around and bolted back down into the bottom and up the far side of the creek, running through some if the thickest junk you could imagine and he finally collapsed 80 yards away from where I shot him. It was a easy blood trail and I only used it out of habit, but I had followed his crashing and thrashing to establish his final resting place.
My point is, my shot was indeed perfect and his heart and lungs were jello. Where he found the strength to run that far? All I can say is, Adrenaline is a powerful motivator. Because he certainly didn't have the heart, or oxygen or circulatory system to make that death run.
If you don't connect with or cause initial shock to the CNS, you're gonna have a runner no matter how good a shot you are.

Which is Exactly why I developed the 450b. DRT/Bang-Flop is all to normal, even if you miss, it'll scare them to Death!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:13 am

wildcatter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:My last deer was a spike buck. I was in a stand and he came walking right towards me from a creek bottom. We were up on the Red River near Paris,TX. At about 25 Yards with the deer facing me. It was thick woods. I was using my 30-06 and my Nosler 150 Grain Ballistic tips. The bullet hit right square in the chest neck between the shoulders and angled off into the right hindquarter. It's a shot that one would consider a "DRT".

Which is Exactly why I developed the 450b. DRT/Bang-Flop is all to normal, even if you miss, it'll scare them to Death!!

..t

Just had a most unsatisfactory elk hunt. I hit the 5x6 bull twice at 200 yards with factory Hornady 450 Bushmaster 250 gr FTX, first in the shoulder and then quartering away. The elk walked, then stumbled away into heavy stands of juniper and buckbrush, and ultimately the blood trail led to the neighboring property. The neighbor would not give permission to enter his property, so the final disposition of the bull is unknown. I will write out a more detailed report shortly, and I would like to get some opinions from those with more experience on what possibly happened.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:54 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

..t

Just had a most unsatisfactory elk hunt. I hit the 5x6 bull twice at 200 yards with factory Hornady 450 Bushmaster 250 gr FTX, first in the shoulder and then quartering away. The elk walked, then stumbled away into heavy stands of juniper and buckbrush, and ultimately the blood trail led to the neighboring property. The neighbor would not give permission to enter his property, so the final disposition of the bull is unknown. I will write out a more detailed report shortly, and I would like to get some opinions from those with more experience on what possibly happened.

Jim,

Elk are tough tough animals. I'm sorry to hear about your elk hunt! It leaves a sickening feeling in the stomachs to lose an animal. The coyotes will probably catch up to that bull. On our recent elk hunt, I saw a cow get hit 4 times with a 270 wsm shooting the Winchester ballistic silvertip factory ammo. What a mess, granite the shot placement was not ideal, but the elk only went 75 yards.

Did you have blood on both sides? I'm not a fan of the factory bullet for elk, although it will do it, I prefer the 275 Barnes bullets for critters that big. Did the first shot break the shoulder? How much of an angle was the second shot?

Sorry again man, elk are super tough. Don't give up on hunting them.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:17 pm

I have posted a more detailed narrative here - http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14479. The blood seemed to be mostly on the left side, where the shoulder was hit. The second shot was probably at 135 degrees to the direction the elk was moving.

I will be hunting again next year, but maybe with my Savage 111 in .30-06 with a better bullet.

I did some hunting for pheasant, quail, and chukkar in the following days with a lot more luck with my shotgun.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:56 pm

OK Guys, I'm outta hare..

I'm off to ID to go to a wedding and then I'll drive down to the SHOT Show, stopping at many Major Gun Outfits, to sell some Wares. This time last year I didn't have the proper documentation and wasn't able to hit the Home-Run.

But this year, I got it all and done right, too!

So, with a little Luck I'll make you guys proud!!

Just a hint..

Is it possible to drop internal pressures and increase bullet speeds??

..t

Ps.. So, Dawg Breath and the Hoot, know how to get a hold of me. and from time to time I'll be checking in, from my phone.

I'll be gone a month..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Good Luck "Medicine Man" and enjoy the SHOT show.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26 am

I'm breathing.... Good luck bro. Keep me posted.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic