feeding problems

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

feeding problems

Postby joeculb » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:44 pm

I have had some feeding issues with the factory bushy magazine. Put it a cheap plastic ar15 30 magazine and feeds flawlessly. What's the deal with the factory metal mags not feeding?
joeculb

Re: feeding problems

Postby texrider » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:57 pm

I don't have a factory Bushy mag, so can't say for sure. I'm sure someone who does will chime in. I just got some regular GI mags and some blue followers. Still had to tweak the lips to get them to feed better. Every once in a while I still have an issue, but most of the time they feed pretty good.
What kind of issues are you having?
texrider

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:06 am

Though I never understood why, the Bushmaster mags typically have too strong a spring in them as shipped. In the case of your inexpensive 30 rounders, did you load them all the way to capacity with 450b rounds? Their spring, when loaded to capacity, gets pretty strong as well. As easy as it would be to correct, for all the other refinements in their 450b rifle, you'd think Bushmaster would do a better job with the engineering of their magazines, but then it may just be a result of lack of quality control when being manufactured. I do know that they have changed the design of them several times since 2009. Using just enough spring to do the job would seem like a no-brainer.
No one expects that the first thing they have to do with a newly purchased product is to have to tweak it to get it to work, but that is the case with many new 450b mags. Start with polishing the underside of the lips, where they contact the cartridge using any number of means. Then slide out the floorplate, remove and cut off some of the spring windings at the bottom. If their mags are still shipping with those tine cut-out tabs protruding into the mag about 3/4 of the way down. While you have the spring out for shortening, iron (push) them out with a flat object from the inside. Wipe out any crud, reassemble and have at it. Not as many, but a significant number of them need the lips tweaked to assure the cartridge is aligned optimally, but don't deal with that until you correct the first three items.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby joeculb » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks Hoot. It came with two steel mags and both get two rounds stuck (1 fired and other new unfired). it is very consistent. Plastic mag feeds regardless if full or only 1 round. It is a .223 follower designed for the 223, but I just tried it and it works flawlessly. I don't like hunting with a 30 round magazine, as just the looks is overkill. the factory mags would be fine.
joeculb

Postby helidude350 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:06 pm

if you have a mag that works, go with it

IF...... you can find the discontinued plastic sig mags, they usually work

try some others as well

check to see if there is a ridge in the front ( like a pmag) if it has one, probably not a good choice
some here have had good experience with pmags

plenty of threads on here about mags

if you have some 20rd gi aluminum mags, they might work also

skip hex mags, I haven't tried them with 223/556 but they wont work well for 450bushy
helidude350

Postby texrider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Don't think Ive had that happen to me. Just from the sound of it, the lips might need to come together some. Like maybe your next round is jumping up in the way before the fired round has a chance to clear. Will it cycle by hand ok?
texrider

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:16 pm

texrider wrote:Don't think Ive had that happen to me. Just from the sound of it, the lips might need to come together some. Like maybe your next round is jumping up in the way before the fired round has a chance to clear. Will it cycle by hand ok?

That's not unheard of. I've tweaked a few lips myself for that reason. Spring tension enters into that equation as well.

Merry Christmas to everyone again.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Off Topic