There is no "Happy" Memorial Day

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

There is no "Happy" Memorial Day

Postby BillytheKid » Mon May 25, 2015 2:04 pm

...I agree that the word "Happy" doesn't seem to cut it...but, I do choose celebrate the lives, and the freedom purchased by, our brave...

"I have never been able to think of the day as one of mourning; I have never quite been able to feel that half-masted flags were appropriate on Decoration Day. I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak, because those whose dying we commemorate rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it. We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did." — Benjamin Harrison

"The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example." — Benjamin Disraeli

"We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them." — Francis Amasa Walker

"Are they dead that yet speak louder than we can speak, and a more universal language? Are they dead that yet act? Are they dead that yet move upon society and inspire the people with nobler motives and more heroic patriotism?" — Henry Ward Beecher

"The patriot’s blood is the seed of Freedom’s tree." — Thomas Campbell, Stanzas

"Is’t death to fall for Freedom’s right?

He’s dead alone who lacks her light!" — Thomas Campbell, Hallowed Ground

"They are dead; but they live in each Patriot’s breast,

And their names are engraven on honor’s bright crest." — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Battle of Lovell’s Pond

"For love of country they accepted death." — James A. Garfield

"All we have of freedom, all we use or know –

This our fathers bought for us long and long ago." — Rudyard Kipling, The Old Issue

"Our cheer goes back to them, the valiant dead!

Laurels and roses on their graves to-day,

Lilies and laurels over them we lay,

And violets o’er each unforgotten head." — Richard Hovey, The Call of the Bugles

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." — George S. Patton

"The brave die never, though they sleep in dust:

Their courage nerves a thousand living men." — Minot J. Savage, Decorating the Soldiers’ Graves

"Spirit, that made those heroes dare

To die, and leave their children free,

Bid Time and Nature gently spare

The shaft we raise to them and thee." — Ralph Waldo Emerson, Concord Hymn
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Return to Off Topic