Is The 450 Bushmaster Dead?

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Is The 450 Bushmaster Dead?

Postby MarkCO » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:50 am

Funny story...I am at a match standing next to a few well known shooters and a few guys I did not really know. The subject of AR15.com comes up and a thread on there. I said I do not go to that forum but I ask more about the jist of the thread. One of the unknown folks pipes up and tells me I should go register and contribute over on AR15.com. I told him that any site that bans me for upsetting a sponsor of their forum for stating facts is not a place I care to be. He sheepishly replies that he can get me unbanned as he is one of the founders of the site. I declined, but thanked him anyway.

I think the law changes in some states as well as the continued support will keep the .450BM growing slowly. The AR15 market is REALLY soft right now and folks are searching for new an innovative...which comes back as renamed and repackaged. For me, the .450BM is the only cartridge that I was willing to try stepping away from anything but a barrel change.

This is kind of interesting and I would like to try a .450 in it: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... artridges/
MarkCO

Postby Handgunner » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:45 pm

I must be on the wrong side as well. I purchesed my 450 Bushy upper about six? Years ago. Never fired it from my Colt LE6940 until last year. I was saving it. Michigan was in the process of allowing straight walled cartridges from a rifle in the old shotgun zone. They had been talking about it for years. I thought if it did not pass I could sell the Bushy and make some money. Was I sure glad to see the law changed in 2014 to allow the rifles.
I read all kinds of garbage about lack of bullet selection for the 450 becuase it uses .451 pistol bullets. All I read on the net was buy the .458 much more of a bullet selection, BA HUM BUG. I shot deer for several years with a contender in 45-70 using the good old .458 bullet. Tell you what I had deer run 200 yards with lung shots. I admit I loaded them low because the reciol was fierce in the small contender but still I used a Rem 300gr HP. No expansion at all, the .458 bullets are to heavily built for thin skins like deer. I have plenty of bullets to choose from in the .451 class. From around 185gr to 300gr in almost any configuration I want. From solids for plinking, HP and FTX for deer hunting or anything else I want to hunt with it. I am primarily a deer hunter as a lot of you are. The 450 Bushy is PERFECT! The .451 bullets expand a whole lot better the the heavier .548 bullets and for deer I actually believe you have a BETTER selection. Then look at the 50 Beowulf, fun to shoot just like all of them. But for actual hunting I am not so sure. It certainly would not fit into my needs like the 450 does. Talk about heavy bullets. I reload so the Bushy will certainly live on and quite well for my needs and fun THANk YOU!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.76 KiB) Viewed 8963 times
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Deputy Sheriff & Fire Fighter
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:04 am

I stay away from ARFCOM. Not a member and don't have any plans to join. Better to just walk away than deal with closed minds.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:49 pm

I'm not a reloader, but, as I understand it, the big deal is that the .450 uses rifle brass where as the .458 Socom and the .50 Beo both use pistol brass. Very few seem to be making that distinction on any forums.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby IceAxe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 am

The 458 SOCOM also uses a pistol primer, and the rim although the same diameter as the Bushy, is thinner and with the increased diameter of the head region (SOCOM) makes it more prone to stuck cases by shearing the rim. You have to really lube them good. One more thing for the SOCOM is that without a SAAMI spec many people are having to resize their brand new $$$ ammo to get it to chamber.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Previous

Return to Off Topic