I need your help

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

I need your help

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:19 am

Due to images disappearing from Photobucket, TinyPic, and an ISP change a few years back, I started re-hosting images in my posts to Google Drive. That's a lot of uploading and editing posts to re-link the images to the new host. When I looked at them, they worked great, but my PCs, Notepad & Smartphone all have privileges passed on from Google Drive, which in English means that I can see the images when other folks may not have privileges to see them.

I thought I had fixed many of them and heck, 15GB of free storage for each gmail account I have (5) is hard to pass up. After I re-repaired the links with the proper sharing privileges, I thought that everyone, anywhere could see them. That was until a member told me he still could not see them.

Today at work, I was able to visit the threads with images that were allegedly not visible using several PCs and Smartphones (thanks to trusting coworkers), which since they are not mine, did not inherit my Google Drive privileges. They were Windows 7 based PCs using Internet Explorer and Apple IPhones using Safari. The alleged broken images all displayed, given enough time to download to the person's PC/Smartphone. I'm beginning to think that perhaps the issue may be with how the reporting person's PC and/or Smartphone are set up, not my process, so I need a favor

Can as many of you who see this email please visit This Thread Here and reply back to this post whether you can see the images in the thread? Allow enough time, given your form of connectivity, for them to download into your browser. If you can see them and chose to reply, include the following information if you know it:

Your type of device, IE PC, Notepad, Smartphone, etc;
Open or Restricted(at work) Network;
Your OS, if you know what it is, IE Windows (version#), Linux, Android, IOS, etc;
Your Browser, IE Internet Explorer (version#) Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.

I have untold hours tied up in hunting down broken image links, re-hosting them, re-re-hosting them and then editing the posts they are in and I'm getting fried. :(

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: I need your help

Postby lungingturtle2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:41 am

Hoot I have no problem viewing your photo files.

Macbook Pro laptop

Home open computer

O.S. 10.10.4 Leopard

Safari

Regards, Mike
lungingturtle2

Postby IceAxe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:05 pm

No problems

HP PC
Home Computer
Windows 10
Edge

Thanks for all you do
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Could not see the images.

PC running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with Internet Explorer 11 browser.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Could not see the images.

PC running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with Internet Explorer 11 browser.

Interesting because at work, I saw them running windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and IE11. Wonder what the difference is?
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Ghost Dog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:32 pm

I see them
PC, windows 7 home, home network on Comcast, IE 11
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Jim, humor me a little further. How about the image in the 3rd post This Thread?

Slightly different format that should force an image download to the PC reading it instead of leaving it up to the browser. Just so you're not misled the image is a screen capture of an Excel spreadsheet, but no different than an image from a camera. (Both jpeg's)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby ardenkent » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:22 pm

the pix are visible on my HP PC, open network, running vista to use firefox.
ardenkent

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:37 am

Nope, can't see that either. What I see is an outline of a box with a black box containing an "x" inside of it and the work "image" to the right of the box. Saw two of these in the linked thread.

There was another post yesterday of a modified pliers to work on a magazine. I could see all of those images.

I don't understand about subscribing to a subgroup thread or whatever. I thought I was subscribed to everything that appears on the forum.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:12 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Nope, can't see that either. What I see is an outline of a box with a black box containing an "x" inside of it and the work "image" to the right of the box. Saw two of these in the linked thread.

There was another post yesterday of a modified pliers to work on a magazine. I could see all of those images.

I don't understand about subscribing to a subgroup thread or whatever. I thought I was subscribed to everything that appears on the forum.

Yes, in your forum user profile, you can set it to subscribe to any thread you post to automatically, as well as any new posts to any or all of the sub-forums of your choice. I only subscribe to threads that I post in and then only as long as they don't morph into something they didn't start off as, or turn into eternal threads. I get enough emails already.

The images in the thread about the 5 round mag problem and the images in the CCWS thread are hosted on a site called Postimage.org which stores the jpegs natively as directly linkable. Like Photobucket and its little brother TinyPic, those images will expire if no one views them within a specified time frame. If I pay around $25/yr, they will never expire.

Services like Microsoft One Drive and Google Drive, while free and generous, store them in a different fashion and went to not allowing them to be directly linked this year. I suspect that they want you to have to come to their site to see them so that they can make money off of advertisements and hit counters. They said it was for security reasons (unspecified). You can generate a shareable link to those images for embedding in a forum post, but it appears that there is a trick to getting each and every browser set to pull them down. Might be linked to whether you are browsing invisibly or block all cookies, or not. I don't have any experience with that.

I sense it is a nuance difference in the settings. Witness the fact that setups like our work computers running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit using Internet Explorer 11 with all of its preferences set to default does that just fine, whereas your Windows 7 Professional running Internet Explorer 11 won't. They are so similar that I'm at a loss to list the differences without boring everyone to tears, assuming I haven't already. ;)

Any way you slice it, having to pull up stakes and move a lot of image files every time a site changes its policies or I run out of allowed room, gets old. My 15GB of free storage on my ISP account maxed out a long time ago, that's why I have to keep looking for new homes for my children. I'm pretty frugal about file sizes also. I don't upload images that are so big that you need to have both horizontal and vertical scroll bars to navigate through them despite my camera taking images that are natively that big. I painstakingly edit them down to either 640x480 or 800x600 so they display easily in most forums and don't take up nearly as much storage space as the larger native images. That's the price of admission for posting images in a forum. I can only imagine the work that goes into editing videos for sharing. That's not a troll for an in depth tutorial.

Right now, Cable and Phone companies that bundle connectivity and programming content are seeing their profits on the programming side stagnate due to "cord cutters" who are fed up with paying for 100 channels when they only watch 5 or 6 and those companies are getting it back on the ISP side, so I don't expect them to be generous with additional storage space, but I will see what they want to up my storage capacity. They're simple to use with an ftp program. In the mean time, my PC is getting loaded up with hooks and cookies from trying all these online hosting services. It'll be hard to fumigate it if I go with my ISPs simple storage, which brings up the concern of what do you do should you change ISPs? I already went through that nightmare a few years ago. My original posts back when I first got involved here were on that ISP and thank goodness, they gave me a month to clean out my storage after I jumped ship. I still had to edit every image link in every post to reflect their new home. Thought I was done back then. Little did I know...

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Off Topic