45 sabots

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

45 sabots

Postby Cutright » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Has anyone tried loading sabot rounds intended for .45cal Muzzloaders in the .450BM? I doubt it would work and am not sure why you would do it, but I was curious anyway!
Cutright

Re: 45 sabots

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Cutright wrote:Has anyone tried loading sabot rounds intended for .45cal Muzzloaders in the .450BM? I doubt it would work and am not sure why you would do it, but I was curious anyway!

While I have not tried 45 cal sabots, I would venture that the slower burning smokeless powders we use, as opposed to faster black powder, would suffer as not only will the bullets in them in all likelihood be lighter, but the sabots will not provide as much resistance traveling down the bore. Again, I can only guess, but I'd be concerned with them pulling when they are slammed into the chamber also. Might be enlightening to see some velocity readings loaded singly by hand, but if you try it, take your muzzle devices off first!
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 45 sabots

Postby m113103 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:10 am

If you are pushing them at 450 speed the plastic sabot would cause a problem. Unless you like cleaning the plastic out of the rifling I wouldn't do it. The guys at Savage ML forum can enlighten you more than I can. I have a 45ml that I use and I had problems with sabots at max velocity. How would you address the bullet pull issue? ;)
m113103

Return to Off Topic