Ground hog time

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Ground hog time

Postby Bushmaster1921 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Hey Hoot won't be to long to start blowing ground hogs up.
Bushmaster1921

Re: Ground hog time

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 pm

One varmint in short supply out here is the ground hog. Plenty of gophers but not the ground hogs like we had in Maryland and West Virginia. Years back, you could drive out into the rural part of the state, stop and ask farmers if they had any ground hogs they needed gotten rid of. They'd literally welcome you with open arms. When you were done and hauled out the dead ones past their house on the way back to the car, they'd tell you to take some fresh vegetables from the garden with you. It was a great relationship. Occasionally, you'll see a ground hog out here eating alongside the road, but rarely along fence lines on farms like out east. I once saw my grandfather's Collie dispatch one after it came out from under the barn and made a run (waddle) for it. Never knew that Collie's had such a mean streak in him!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby m113103 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 pm

I have heard that if you have coyotes you won't have ground hogs. :D
m113103

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:32 am

m113103 wrote:I have heard that if you have coyotes you won't have ground hogs. :D

Good point. That and we have a lot of Eagles and Hawks, though the Hawks stick more to mice, gophers and the occasional small rabbit.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Off Topic