wahoooo!

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

wahoooo!

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 am

i just got a call i could have only wished would happen - i've got access to a 12x25 10' tall walk in cooler/freezer set from an old grocery/butcher shop. It has no refrigeration - just walls, ceiling and 3 doors - but figuring out that minor detail wont be too hard since my cousin and uncle do HVAC for a living ;D ;D

we wont need that much space for the deer, so we'll configure it to fit the barn nicely. one of my cousins might take some of the other stuff for his barn too, but thats the least of my concerns.

summer time crop damage hunts just got SUPER easy, along with never having to worry about a 50*F rainy day possibly ruining venison for us if we get a warm fall during deer season.

with the new butcher shop rules here in michigan, its gotten very difficult to get your deer into all but the largest butcher shops now - the health department changed the rules that all carcasses MUST be hung before the building closes for the night. this means no more taking in deer taken in the evening and stacking them like firewood in the coolers until the next morning when the guys can get to cutting again. So the small shops that only have 10 or 20 hooks in their coolers can only take in as many deer as they can process on a given day. The guy we've used for 20+ years had has to turn us away on several occasions already over the last couple seasons so we've been forced to go to other vendors.

now we'll be able to hang our deer in a temp controlled environment, regardless of the outside temp or if its raining, etc.... and if it takes a couple days for the butcher to have a hook for us, no worries.

oh ya, did i mention that its FREE!

plant_one

Re: wahoooo!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am

Wow. Lucky you! Since you got the cooler, may as well take that next step and invest in your own butcher operations. Sounds to me to could charge motel fees for an overnight stay or just start your own business!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:45 am

honestly its a time thing. or more importantly a lack of.

coming from a culinary background, including professional schooling as such, i have the ability and knowledge to break down a deer and process it - but i'd rather pay someone $65 to cut, grind and package and all i have to do is drop it in the freezer :)

it might be different if this was being installed in the barn at my residence and not 2½ hours away.
plant_one

Postby Thom28 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 pm

That is quite a snag. Congratulations.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Return to Off Topic