Another place to Feral Hog Hunt that is AR friendly

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Another place to Feral Hog Hunt that is AR friendly

Postby PyroRobby » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:39 pm

So I have been trying to do some hog hunting, new to it. Wanted to test my 450 Bushmaster against my .308 Savage MSR10 and this time tried Boar Creek Ranch. First opportunity to get hogs at BCA was a daytime ambushing event, as new hogs were released on the property, basically close range and I decided to just use my 10mm for that event. I didn't really know what to expect, mostly was just wanting to observe and stand backup for charging hogs or wounded hogs on the run.

Later that evening I setup in a blind; but after a couple hours and the feeder going off twice, the hogs knew what was going on and didn't come to that feeder, though they did come to drink at the pond next to me, I just couldn't see them for a clear shot. My cell phone battery died, due to butt-dialing all day and running the battery down, so I wasn't able to call the hunt master and confirm permissions to move to a different blind. Walked back to let the hunter master know my phone wasn't working and could have gone back out, for about another hour and a half; but opted to just get up a 5am and try again. Which I did; but these hogs just had been hunted for the last 4 days and 4 hogs had been taken already, so the others were Leary of the feeders. Meh, some days chicken, some days feathers. Sorry, no feedback regarding my ballistics results, no hog for the BBQ again. Perhaps 3rd time will be the charm and I will plan another trip in a couple months.

Did however really enjoy this place, not expensive and it was an easy going country setting where I was able to relax and try my hand at hunting again. Talking with the hunt master he said lot of folks have used 450 Bushmaster there with success and he himself carries a suppressed 300 blackout AR SBR. The other two hunters, one had a nice AR10 in .308 win, the other hunter a Century arms HK91 assembled clone with beautiful wood furniture also .308 win. So this place clearly doesn't mind if you have a proper hog hunting caliber AR patterned rifle. The bunkhouse could handle several hunters, the meals I enjoyed. Lunch was Frito pie, dinner pork ribs, bakes beans and cheese rice, breakfast scrambled eggs and biscuits.

So if you haven't been here, find yourself in Texas and this all sounds like something you would do for not too bad a price IMO, here is contact info, the driving directions, and a few pictures of what to expect.
(Feral Hog Hunting Texas - Boar Creek Ranch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu1npKSy2BI
Last edited by PyroRobby on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is using both hands, good gun control is hitting your target precisely.
PyroRobby

Re: Another place to Feral Hog Hunt that is AR friendly

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:15 pm

I have hunted twice at Independence Ranch, which is about 90 minutes west of Houston. Got a hog each time with my 450 Bushmaster.

It is expensive, but you can win a "free" hog hunt by registering on their website. I've won about four times. It does not include the cost of deer corn (each hunter must bring one bag for bait), an entrance fee, a guide fee, and accommodations.

You hunt from blinds in the evening and early morning (never had any success, as other animals like axis and other deer show up to eat the bait), and you can spot and stalk the property before lunch and in the afternoon. For an extra fee, you can go to a blind in the "honey hole," which is a swampy part of the ranch, that will pretty much guarantee a hog. The ranch will butcher your hog up to 50 lbs, plus $1 a pound for a hog over 50 lbs. (I'm somewhat hazy on the details, but its on their website.)

Anyway, here they are: https://www.independenceranch.com/.

I surprised the last hog I hunted there with my first shot, I turned him with my second, and took him down with my third. Had I not had a semi auto, I would have been looking at some serious stiches.

Hunter P1040643 red size.jpg
Hog at the Independence Ranch with the 450 BM
Hunter P1040643 red size.jpg (104.72 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: Another place to Feral Hog Hunt that is AR friendly

Postby PyroRobby » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:58 pm

Thank you for that information Jim, I had heard of Independent ranch and it is nice to hear feedback regarding what it is like there.

On another note, the first part of this second video, posted below, has driving instruction how to get to Wormy's ranch, just outside of Trinity, which is about an hour north of Houston. Wormy's ranch is where I went last time and dropped a 198 pound boar, show in my profile picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5bahfDN26A
Gun control is using both hands, good gun control is hitting your target precisely.
PyroRobby

Return to Off Topic