Bullet Bone Penetration

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Bullet Bone Penetration

Postby rob cullen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:56 am

Hi all and hope the new year is a good one for everyone.
i have been reading a fair bit of stuff on this site and learnt quite a lot about the 450 in a few weeks after picking up my first 450 recently ( savage 110 Bolt ) and PS you lot are a good bunch.
i have read a fair bit about bullet comparison and their ability to smash though thick bone etc . This all made sense to me until i shot a bit of 1/4 mild steel plate with Hdy 250 FtX and Fed power shock 300 gr from about 40 metres.I was expecting the bullets to ding the plate and bounce off but they both went straight through, so surely this would smash through any animals bones or am i missing something? ( i have shot a lot of roos in my time but very little experience with bigger game apart from a few pigs with 12G )
Pic attached , the two big holes are 450 at around 40 m and the others are old 308 holes from 100m ish offhand
cheers
Rob
Attachments
IMG_20200102_185954.gif
1/4 ms plate
IMG_20200102_185954.gif (17.63 KiB) Viewed 12896 times
rob cullen

Re: Bullet Bone Penetration

Postby Robert FL » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 am

Thanks for posting the picture. Like yourself I would have thought the FTXs would have dented the steel and then burst into many pieces. I have shot a few wild Hogs, one Coyote and 2 deer with My 450BM, all 250 grainFTX or 240 grain Buffalo Bore bullets passed thru with no bullet recovery. Most of my shots were thru rib cage, one hog skull, a couple shot thru neck vertebrae, some of the hogs were donated whole to family or friends with out me cleaning and quartering them, so I did not see any internal damage. I have been happy with the 450BM performance in the field on game and gun range on paper.
Robert FL

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:51 pm

I’m over here just smiling real big.....
welcome to our addiction! :D
Oh yeah. If you think 1/4” is something.....
How about 7/16” boiler plate?
Need a video? Watch. https://youtu.be/Rt7SAzXuo8I
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:05 am

-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby rob cullen » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:09 am

Hi Rob FL
Cheers for the info mate , appreciate it.
Thanks
Rob

Tex
Holy crap i had no idea that 450s would be anywhere near capable of belting a whole through 7/16 plate and then killing a water jug. Pretty sure you answered my question with out saying a word
Awesome videos Sir
Cheers
Rob
rob cullen

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:37 am

rob cullen wrote:Hi Rob FL
Cheers for the info mate , appreciate it.
Thanks
Rob

Tex
Holy crap i had no idea that 450s would be anywhere near capable of belting a whole through 7/16 plate and then killing a water jug. Pretty sure you answered my question with out saying a word
Awesome videos Sir
Cheers
Rob

Cheers to you sir. Welcome to our electronic campfire.
Yes. Those bullets are the 230 Grain FMJ Magtechs with a 44.5 and 45.0 dose of LiLGun using the LeGendre side crimp in a first Gen Bushmaster upper 20” 1:24twist rate barrel. The recoil is low due to the custom RecoilLess stock produced by GunNut some years ago. It’s a sweet shooter.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:46 am

Just a disclaimer. I do NOT load that round with that much powder anymore for ANY of my rifles. The 1:16” twist in a single shot plus that particular load is super hot and pressures are crazy high. I’ve found that 40.0-41.0 grains would probably be my max for that round in a 1:16” rate barrel.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:51 pm

if you think thats impressive... you should see what a couple of 225 FTX to to 1" ballistic acrylic.... lol

to its credit.. said acrylic was only 3A (44 mag) rated... but still...

i'll try to get pics when im out at my cousin's this weekend. i dont quite think you could drop a golf ball thru the holes, but 3 shots absolutely shattered the sheet in two pieces (it was about a 16x30 hunk of it)
plant_one

Postby rob cullen » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi Tex
Cheers for the info and yea i noticed on your video how little recoil your rifle had - impressive.

Hi P1
Look fwd to your pics
Thanks
Rob
rob cullen

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:21 pm

I was given a couple of 4x2 sheets of ballistic paneling to test. I refuse to give manufacturer or type or thickness information for security reasons. The AK 47 put a nice dimple in it at about 20 feet, but it didn’t penetrate. We also tested the 5.56 which didn’t penetrate, and the 450 Bushmaster, and another cartridge that I won’t disclose. After the test, I decided not to publish the results and disposed of the sheet we shot up. The other sheet was properly used for undisclosed purposes.
I didn’t want the results made public because that material is in current use in courtroom judge benches.
No.
I won’t disclose the results of either of the later two cartridges.
Just know that every firearm and every piece of ballistic protection has its limits.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Off Topic