REMINGTON ANNOUNCEMENT

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

REMINGTON ANNOUNCEMENT

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 pm

This is not the big one I've hinted at, but none the less a good one and most likely a good one for us, as I have a very special relationship with the Freedom Group CEO, namely, he used a 450b on a grizzly hunt this year and I was a ballistics advisor for the hunt.

Now, I'll talk to Barnes about a bullet for our specific use at the SHOT, what weight do we want and I need your feed back on this. I'm thinking as brass bullets a quite long for the weight, we'd better keep the weight down so we can still get some powder in the case, say something in the 275 to 325gr area and I'm inclined to suggest a 285FP. What's your opinion?

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and ... ullet.aspx

http://www.freedom-group.com/
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: REMINGTON ANNOUNCEMENT

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:43 pm

:? just my personnal opinion... but i like the 250gr bullets. like you mentioned, it's gonna be a bit longer; especially if it's a true spire point, which i favor also... :| maybe in the line of the XPB? ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MudBug » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:44 pm

That's a good weight range. I know some want to mess with higher weight bullets but I don't really see a need for them.

Now, with the twist rate in these barrels handle the longer bullets?

I just blew a bunch of money on some Barnes 150 grn .277 TTSX bullets for my 270 WSM just to find out that my barrel twist rate isn't fast enough to stabilize them very well.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Siringo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 pm

I'm in for the 250 gr. to 275 gr. range. I want to keep the bullet supersonic or above the speed of sound for top accuracy out to 250 yards or 300 yards.

Also ask them if they would make it .452 and not .451! Better bore seal.
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm

If I was of a mind to spend $$ on the high priced projectiles, I'd be interested in something about 275 to 280 grains with a rebated boat tail.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby bushmeister » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 pm

As has been mentioned before, with an entry already 50% larger than a .30 cal, expansion might not be a factor. I think it would be best if a lightweight expander that would push around 2700 fps maybe around 220gr be developed, as well as the heavier (as many grains that fit) deep penetrator. In fact, it might be neccessary for a small test group ;) to evaluate an entire range of such options to come to any real conclusion as to what bullet or range of bullets would be best. :mrgreen: But, thats just my 2 cents.
bushmeister

Postby Siringo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

The 275er that they make for the 460 S&W is a good bullet. But I would like it in .452 with a polymer tip. I am skeptical of crap (like going thru brush) that would plug up the tip and prevent opening. Maybe unfounded -- but a fear nonetheless. Anyone out with experience with the Barnes MZ bullets?
Siringo

Postby MudBug » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:52 pm

One thing that needs to be accounted (if it's and HP or expander tip) for is the velocity at which it will expand. Most of the barnes rifle bullets have a lower limit of 1700 fps.

Using the Hornady bullets and 2100 fps as a starting velocity I'm showing that at 150 yards it's already down to 1600 fps, at 200 yards it's at 1450 fps and at 250 yards it's at 1320 fps.

The problem with finding good bullets for the 450b is that other than the hornady offerings we either have pistol bullets that just blow up at those speeds, or 0.458 rifle rifle bullets that don't expand well out past 150 yards.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby jagermaster » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:42 pm

I think all of the replies are along the lines I was thinking too.

The most important things to me for bullet construction would be a boat tail, .452 not .451 and weight between 225gr and 250gr.

I doesn’t mater if it has a plastic tip or an open tip but it must be pointed.
jagermaster

Postby BD1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:48 pm

This is part of the reason why I like the WFN cast boolits. No expansion required. I was think 275 grains or so as if you put a real boat tail on a .452 spire pointed bullet much lighter than 250 grains, you don't really have much bearing surface left. If I was spending $$ for a barnes, I'd be wanting some extended killing range for my investment, and the extra 25 grains ought to be enough to put a boat tail on something otherwise shaped like the 250 FTX
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Next

Return to Off Topic