Remington 260gr Acutip factory ammo - me sad

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Remington 260gr Acutip factory ammo - me sad

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Just got in a case of Remmy 260gr Accu-Tips, and this batch is not going to win any awards for good looks. Most cases and bullet jackets have cosmetic "stain" issues. It looks like some sort of liquid got splashed on the majority of the rounds. I'm not overly concerned about it, at this point. HOWEVER: I took my spectacles off, and...

Using my 20/400+, x-ray nearsighted eyeball comparator devices, I did notice something about these rounds that is puzzling and/or concerning. Looking very closely, I can see that the case mouths have three different configurations randomly distributed through the lot. One bunch has the usual slight crimp inwards toward the bullet jacket. Another bunch doesn't seem to be crimped at all, with the case mouth perfectly straight "ahead". The third variation has the case mouth very slightly expanded outward, away from the boolit, like it just barely got bumped by an expander plug. Below the area of the case mouth, they are all straight, no bulging or anything unusual, other than the previously noted scratches and dents on some. :?:

Anyone else noticed these case mouth variations? I'm going to sort them by "design" and see if there's any difference noticeable at the range (fps, groups, etc.), what with neck tension being a tad important to this caliber.

(The Hornadys I have all seem to look identical, including the microscopic ring along the top edge of the case mouth...?)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 am

Add note: I just found one round that is about the color of a Wolf steel...? Had to polish with 0000 wool to get any brass showing!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby NordicRX8 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Sorry I have not revisted this thread since the OP. Never got a hold of my work digicam to take pics, but Remington did send me a fedex prepaid label to return my ammo. The replacements I received looked like what I expected of FACTORY NEW ammo. No dents, scratches or case discoloration and no dirty headstamps or extractor marks on any of the rims of the replacements (or varying crimps). Will try to get out and shoot these to see how they compare to Hornady Factory ammo. Now I can be sure that once I fire these cartridges that they will be ONCE fired (by me)!

I originally purchased these from MidwayUSA. While I'm sure they would have bent over backwards to resolve this for me, I didn't think I should have to spend any more of my money to pay for the shipping. In the end, Remington resolved the issue to my satisfaction... but if they aren't as accurate from my 20" as the Hornady factory stuff is, I doubt I'll buy anymore just to save $2 on a box of 20. I'll just reload the cases I already have.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Just info you: I think Hoot is going to try re-crimping a couple boxes of Remmy factory loaded 260s to see if a "known" good quality crimp has a positive effect on the variations noted in this loading. Mebbe; mebbe not? Stay tuned. If your new rounds from Rem look consistent, it will be interesting to see how they fly. Do tell...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:51 am

I have two boxes of Remington's that I am going to chrono as soon as the temps here get below 100. Will report back, but it may be a while.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:19 am

It can't be soon enough! We are extra crispy up here, 53+ days so far over 100 degrees!

P.S. SEND RAIN!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:It can't be soon enough! We are extra crispy up here, 53+ days so far over 100 degrees!

P.S. SEND RAIN!

I'm doing my little Dance for ya, but the neighbors are complaining that I'm not using a Stripper Pole, go figure..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:It can't be soon enough! We are extra crispy up here, 53+ days so far over 100 degrees!

P.S. SEND RAIN!

I'm doing my little Dance for ya, but the neighbors are complaining that I'm not using a Stripper Pole, go figure..

..t

Your neighbors might need an intervention.....
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:34 am

I think the neighbors might need a knife...to gouge their eyes out! :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Previous

Return to Off Topic