Remington 260gr Acutip factory ammo - me sad

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Remington 260gr Acutip factory ammo - me sad

Postby NordicRX8 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:04 pm

I just got some Remington 260gr Acutip .450Bushmaster ammo delivered before the weekend.
Have not had a chance to test them yet but if anyone else has purchased this ammo, can you tell me if your FACTORY FRESH ammo looks like it was reloaded by Bubba?

Many of my cases have discoloring and some have case wall scratching and dents. Some case headstamps are clean and even while others look worn and dirty. I even see some extractor marks. Some of these loaded rounds even appear to not have enough case crimp. :evil: :roll:

Is Remington ammo manufacturing that much less polished than Hornadys?

I'm going to have to borrow the digicam from work and take a few pics.

Unless these things group much better than the Factory Hornady load (not likely), I doubt I'll ever buy Rem's .450 ammo again. Starline needs to start making .450 Bush brass or Hornady needs to increase brass case output.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Re: Remington 260gr Acutip factory ammo - me sad

Postby Larrys1911 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:58 pm

NORDIC,

If you can honestly see extractor marks on the cases I would NOT SHOOT THEM PERIOD. Take them back where you got them from or send them back to where you got them OR to the factory with your receipt and a letter explaining....

There is NO POSSIBLE REASON a factory loaded NEW case should have extractor marks.... PERIOD.

DO NOT SHOOT THAT STUFF.

As to the rest of it, I have friends that work at the plant here in AR and their QC is not bad. Even the seconds that sometimes get out of the plant dont look like what you describe.

Larry P
Larrys1911

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Please Post Pictures!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:33 pm

NordicRX8 wrote:I just got some Remington 260gr Acutip .450Bushmaster ammo delivered before the weekend.
Have not had a chance to test them yet but if anyone else has purchased this ammo, can you tell me if your FACTORY FRESH ammo looks like it was reloaded by Bubba?

NordicRX8-
Responding to your question, the Remington ammo I recently received looked new and as good as the Hornady ammo, and nothing like your description of what you received.

Your statement about "delivered before the weekend" indicates that you got it through a mail-order or online-order supplier

This could be a problem, because you cannot return ammo and expect a refund; I think this is due to federal regulations regarding ammo, primers, and powder. Sellers of ammo typically warn of this when you order. Here's the statement from Midway on every ammo order page:
midwayusa.com wrote:Attention! You must be 18 or older to order ammunition. Ammunition must ship UPS ground. Due to Department of Transportation regulations, we cannot accept returns on Ammunition.. Make sure to use the correct ammunition in your gun. Check local laws before ordering.

Guessing from your description, somebody opened a box, messed with the ammo, handled it with acidic fingers, ran some of the rounds through a rifle, and put it back in the box. Then it somehow got sold it as new.

I would call the customer service department of your supplier and inform them politely about the condition of the ammo you received. If they're conscientious they should be able to help you in some way, even though they cannot take back the ammo. Save the box so that if Remington needs to be notified, you can supply the lot number.

Let us know what your supplier says.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I pulled some samples from my supplies, and placed them side by side. The Remington Accutips do not look as nicely polished as the Hornady. However, I saw nothing like what you described, and, even though they are more dull than the Hornady, I would still call them "Factory Fresh".

Hope that helps in some way.
Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:33 pm

pitted bore wrote:
NordicRX8 wrote:I just got some Remington 260gr Acutip .450Bushmaster ammo delivered before the weekend.

NordicRX8-
Responding to your question, the Remington ammo I recently received looked new and as good as the Hornady ammo, and nothing like your description of what you received.

Your statement about "delivered before the weekend" indicates that you got it through a mail-order or online-order supplier

This could be a problem, because you cannot return ammo and expect a refund; I think this is due to federal regulations regarding ammo, primers, and powder. Sellers of ammo typically warn of this when you order. Here's the statement from Midway on every ammo order page:
midwayusa.com wrote:Attention! You must be 18 or older to order ammunition. Ammunition must ship UPS ground. Due to Department of Transportation regulations, we cannot accept returns on Ammunition.. Make sure to use the correct ammunition in your gun. Check local laws before ordering.

Guessing from your description, somebody opened a box, messed with the ammo, handled it with acidic fingers, ran some of the rounds through a rifle, and put it back in the box. Then it somehow got sold it as new.

I would call the customer service department of your supplier and inform them politely about the condition of the ammo you received. If they're conscientious they should be able to help you in some way, even though they cannot take back the ammo. Save the box so that if Remington needs to be notified, you can supply the lot number.

Let us know what your supplier says.

--Bob

The Doc has it right. The ammo manufacturers sort for these events, doing a fantastic job in the process and WILL reject a cartridge for far less than what NORDIC is describing here. You've been most likely Hy-Jacked, somewhere along the pipeline, after it left Remmy..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby go2boats » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Bought 4 boxes of the Rem. ammo also.....haven't been able to shoot any yet but... "Yes" mine looks pretty shoddy......same thing......dented cases...some primers look different in coloration...and the head stamp on some is scratched and looks like it was cycled .......scrathed brass..... length wise on some of the ammo....a few in each box......the brass is no where as clean or polished as the Hornady.....in fact I was pretty disappointed when I inspected them as compared to Hornady.....

Don't know when I'll get around to shooting any.......just got back from a 3 week road/work trip....and the fields are calling.......

wil give a post when I can....I have the 20'' barrel.....
go2boats

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:40 pm

go2boats wrote:Bought 4 boxes of the Rem. ammo also.....haven't been able to shoot any yet but... "Yes" mine looks pretty shoddy......same thing......dented cases...some primers look different in coloration...and the head stamp on some is scratched and looks like it was cycled .......scrathed brass..... length wise on some of the ammo....a few in each box......the brass is no where as clean or polished as the Hornady.....in fact I was pretty disappointed when I inspected them as compared to Hornady.....

Don't know when I'll get around to shooting any.......just got back from a 3 week road/work trip....and the fields are calling.......

wil give a post when I can....I have the 20'' barrel.....

Somebody call Remmy, talk to the Ammo guys and tell them this is not an isolated problem, we've got two guys, in two different parts of the country. See what they say..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm not buying any Remmy ammo from anybody til this gets sorted out.
Who did you guys buy this ammo from?
Please post pictures, anyone with these issues.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Remember, Remington is now owned by Cerberus which is a holding company that is only interested in the P and L sheet. Quality control and customer satisfaction are not high on the list for them. They don't tell their managers how to make their products but the pressure is there to make them cheaper. The only answer is to cut corners. All over the net you can read about the lack of percieved quality in the "new" Remington.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Next

Return to Off Topic