Who is noise sensitive?

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Who is noise sensitive?

Postby Stealthshooter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Lately I have found myself flinching a bit. I couldn't figure out why for quite a while because I'm not scared of any of my guns. I was even doing it while shooting my 5.56 which is ridiculous the gun weighs in at 11 pounds and has a muzzle brake. One day I decided to put ear plugs in along with my ear muffs...wouldn't you know it I stopped flinching. I guess I am more noise sensitive than I realized. The way they have our shooting house set up doesn't help. They have it completely covered with metal roofing and no insulation inside. At the shot it sounds like your shooting in a tin can.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue?
Stealthshooter

Re: Who is noise sensitive?

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Oh yeah...indoor ranges are the worst for that effect. If you are wearing eye protection, as one should, there is a significant level of noise infiltration around the temples of the shooting glasses where they go under the headset cushions. (Used to run into this problem working around jet engines on the flightline, too). I always double up when indoors or in conditions like you described...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby rohk » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Stealthshooter, you are such a huge wimp. :lol:
rohk

Postby BillytheKid » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:22 pm

As I recall, Kalifornia law requires all outdoor shooting ranges to angle the roof down toward the target so as to intentionally reflect all muzzle report back to the shooter , yeah, in order to reduce noise pollution and save the wilderness, yeah...
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:17 pm

HUH? What'd ya say? LOL! With 70% loss in my right ear and 14% loss in the left, add in the 24/7/365 tinitus, Im a lost cause. But I wear plugs and muffs together quite often.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:HUH? What'd ya say? LOL! With 70% loss in my right ear and 14% loss in the left, add in the 24/7/365 tinitus, Im a lost cause. But I wear plugs and muffs together quite often.

Me Three, the brakes are extremely bad at inducing flinch, so it is doubling up the hearing protection that, I require as well. My Muffs are of the Boom cancelling type, I can still hear the verbal shooting commands, and they eliminate most of the flinch inducing boom, the plugs take care of the rest..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I really like the stereo sound cancelling muffs. Although its not really needed for the range, with stereo, you can tell which direction something is coming from for the most part. It actually improves my hearing for hunting situations but cancels out the boom. They also keep my big ol ears warm. Some reasonable ones are the tactical 6S by peltor. I bought mine on ebay.
bushmeister

Postby AR_Hunter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:40 pm

I've got the Peltor tactical 6's and agree they are awesome. I plan on using them hunting this year too to keep the ol' ears warm. I bought a pair of the cheaper Caldwell ones when they were on sale for 20 bucks several months ago but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They've got decent reviews and bought them as a back up pair or for anyone who joins me at the range.
AR_Hunter

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:52 pm

These are the muffs I have and so far I've been very happy with them. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-L ... l+Products
Stealthshooter

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:These are the muffs I have and so far I've been very happy with them. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-L ... l+Products

I have a set of those, and I really like them. The cut out clears my stock, and there is only one volume adjustment to fiddle with.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Next

Return to Off Topic