Shooters ridge zero kick?

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Shooters ridge zero kick?

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm

I was wondering if anybody here has used one of these rests? I like the looks of it because of the webbing used to hold the rifle from kicking. It seems like it would be more comfortable to use than some of the others and it's priced pretty reasonably.

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Shooters-R ... _8353.html
Stealthshooter

Re: Shooters ridge zero kick?

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I was wondering if anybody here has used one of these rests? I like the looks of it because of the webbing used to hold the rifle from kicking. It seems like it would be more comfortable to use than some of the others and it's priced pretty reasonably.

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Shooters-R ... _8353.html

I use a variety of systems and this looks like it might be pretty good, won't know for sure, until you tell us if it's worth anything..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 am

I picked up a cheaper version of that at Academy. It uses a webbing harness to cradle the buttstock. But this model is made from heavy plastic and has a tray to put a bag of sand/shot to provide some weight. It seems to work just fine as long as I use the smaller mags like the 5 round factory mag for the 450 Bushmaster. I think I paid around 43 bucks for it.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Looking at it, I don't see a way to change the distance between the two rests. I understand changing the rear webbing, for minor tweaking, but how do you change the overall length?

I often ask myself when doing load development, "How much are you detracting from the accuracy of the test?"

A stable rifle vise would be the cat's meow for making sure the bullet's behavior is solely due to the rifle and load. I have a nice BR1000 front rest and rear bag, but I have to readjust both after every shot. That can't equate to absolute repeatability.

Whatever you wind up getting, let us know if you have to readjust it after every shot, or does it stay on target?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BayouBob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm

I've been using that rest for about a year and a half and am very happy with it. I use one 25 pound barbell weight but not the strap on the back. The rifle moves at the shot but the rest stays pretty well put. (It would have to weigh a few hundred pounds to have NO movement from the shot.) I don't use the recoil strap for a couple of reasons. 1. Rifles are designed to recoil and for the surface they recoil against (your shoulder) to move. In a heavy recoiling rifle there is actually a risk of breaking the wrist of the stock if it is against a solid surface with no give. 2. All my rifles go hunting. I want to be as stable as I can when I'm sighting in and working up loads at the range but I still want the rifle to react close to the way it will react when I'm sitting in a stand or a blind.
I like the ease of the horizontal and vertical adjustments on the rest as well as the fact that with a barbell weight clampe on it is all one piece so its easy to pick up and move. Laid across the rest and with my hands holding the forend and pistol grip Thumper shoots its nice boring sub-one inch groups at 100 yards.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby toad04 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Newb here. I was looking for the same rest you saw at bigsupplyshop but they now have a "Full Insurance and Handling" fee. There are a ton of the same shops out there and wondering if anyone has used theoutdoorpro.com? With shipping and everything they are cheaper so just wanted to hear any history from anyone?
toad04

Postby toad04 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Has anyone used theoutdoorpro.com? They have the same set up as bigsupplyshop but dont have the "insurance fee" and shipping is cheaper on a rest. Just trying to get any feed back.
TD
toad04

Return to Off Topic