AR15 Reference Blog

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

AR15 Reference Blog

Postby Colohunter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Hello everyone, if you've noticed any of my posts recently, you'll see that I have a blog in my signature. That is mostly about Fishing/Hiking/Camping, etc.. I was thinking of starting a reference type site, (though it would probably be in blog format to make it cheaper). Since I am a Colt AR-15/M16 armorer, I thought of focusing on the assembly/dissasembly and such of the AR-15. Specifically, photo and possibly video guides about how to assemble, field strip, etc.

I know that there are a lot of places that information is available out there, but it would be nice to have one place to reference for specific items, such as the recent talk about extractors and ejectors.

If any of you think it sounds interesting, what would you like to see? Would you like to see long posts covering everything that goes into assembling a lower or upper, or would you rather shorter articles that are more focused, i.e. Trigger/hammer assembly, replacing a gas block, that way it is easier to search for exactly what you want? Let me know what you think, I am probably going to try to take some pictures of a lower disasembly/assembly and maybe a complete bolt disasembly early next week.
Colohunter

Re: AR15 Reference Blog

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Baby steps would probably be a decent place to start here. If you started with detailed postings of individual steps that may be more beneficial, at least to me. Lets see what others have to say.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:47 pm

kottke_35 wrote:Baby steps would probably be a decent place to start here. If you started with detailed postings of individual steps that may be more beneficial, at least to me. Lets see what others have to say.

B.

I agree. When I make "Colt Soup" out of my .45 ACP, I reassemble it in sub-assemblies, and then put those together. It sure makes it easier for me.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Colohunter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:24 am

Ok, longer term goal is to have a photo and/or video guide for just about anything you might need. I will probably initially include some simple tutorials like how to dissasemble the bolt carrier and bolt. I know there are a lot of different people with different experience levels. Hopefully I can get enough info there to make something available for just about anyone.

One thing I haven't decided yet was if I should start it with just a couple tutorials, or wait until I have a fair number of them and open it up with a larger database. Thoughts?

Also, those of you that have responded, or anyone else, what guides would you specifically like to see?
Colohunter

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:31 am

Colohunter wrote:Ok, longer term goal is to have a photo and/or video guide for just about anything you might need. I will probably initially include some simple tutorials like how to dissasemble the bolt carrier and bolt. I know there are a lot of different people with different experience levels. Hopefully I can get enough info there to make something available for just about anyone.

One thing I haven't decided yet was if I should start it with just a couple tutorials, or wait until I have a fair number of them and open it up with a larger database. Thoughts?

Also, those of you that have responded, or anyone else, what guides would you specifically like to see?

It would probably be easiest for you to film in chronological order. This allows you to walk away, and come back to pick up where you left off.

If you have a section of footage, I think you should post it. I believe that will keep people coming back to see the next installment.

In particular I would like to see clear footage on complete bolt takedown, and any tips for scrubbing out the nooks and crannies.

Bill
BillytheKid

Postby Ghost Dog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:19 am

I think it would be a great idea. I've been shooting since I was 20 years old, but only into black rifles for the last two years. I just assembled my first lower a couple of weeks ago. I watched a bunch of vids on Youtube and a lot of reading, especially Arf.com. So if we could have our own armourers section that would be fantastic. Personally vids help me the best. Thanks!
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:28 am

OOOH OOOH OOOH, and, how to headspace correctly too!
BillytheKid

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Not to be a wet blanket, but there are thousands of writeups on the net and tutorial videos on YouTube on almost every aspect of firearms from building to maintaining, modifying, reloading, etc. Some are put out by the manufacturers, some by experienced shooters & reloaders, and some by rank amatuers. Using them requires separating the wheat from the chaff. I have used several as tutorials on the various steps to reloading, using the reloading tools, installing a timney trigger group, understanding sights, bullet ballistics, etc. Also, I consider this discussion group to be pretty much difinitive on all aspects of the BM450 and a lot on the AR15 modern sporting rifle. Your difficulty will be to build an authoritative library of information that rivals what is out there in content, usefulness, and content - and then to attract people to it.

That said, go for it! If I could be sure someone had done the wheat from chaff separation step for me, or improved on the best of what is out there, it would probably be the first place I would look when I needed to learn some new technique or get help on doing it.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Colohunter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:14 pm

You're right Jim, there is already a lot of information out there. I'm hoping to bring some of it together, so you don't have to search as much, also I hope that by using this forum and some other input that I can adjust and improve on it to make it stand out a little. With some constructive criticism I could always re-photograph as necessary to clarify what people might have questions on.
Colohunter

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:14 pm

I'd sure be a fan of it! I hate having to search through multiple sites to find what I need and how to do it! Would be really nice to have a one stop shop for this stuff!!
Stealthshooter

Next

Return to Off Topic