How dumb was this?

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

How dumb was this?

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Well, I can't say as I'm the proud starter-offer of a new thread with this title, but I suspect there is plenty of fodder out there to feed a beast with this name...

So, to start it off: After lovingly cleaning my Bushy 450b this evening (did I mention I love this thing?), I decided it would be a good idea to put one of those little black Hobbit rubbers (Birchwood-Casey's Barrel Cots) all the way down over the Izzy muzzle brake currently in use, to maintain the barrel's pristine condition.

Not being able to resist the temptation to fool around with any weaponry within arm's reach, I stuck a couple of 450b rounds in a SS mag that I had been trying to smooth out to keep it from scratching the brass so badly. Chambered the first round, yanked back on the charging handle and...no movement. Stuck like a...well, you get the idea.

Spent the next ten minutes unsuccessfully trying to dislodge the chambered round, saying words my mama never taught me, while considering how I was going to pry the BCG open without wrecking a brand-new rifle. Just before getting onto the forum here to ask how to pry open an AR action, while simultaneously looking like a complete goober, I noticed the barrel cot was looking a mite puckered up. Light comes on, and goober factor drops way down...

Seems a nice tight chamber plus barrel cot covering all access to the atmosphere equals "stuck" round.

Luckily, no one was watching. :oops:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: How dumb was this?

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:09 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Well, I can't say as I'm the proud starter-offer of a new thread with this title, but I suspect there is plenty of fodder out there to feed a beast with this name...

So, to start it off: After lovingly cleaning my Bushy 450b this evening (did I mention I love this thing?), I decided it would be a good idea to put one of those little black Hobbit rubbers (Birchwood-Casey's Barrel Cots) all the way down over the Izzy muzzle brake currently in use, to maintain the barrel's pristine condition.

Not being able to resist the temptation to fool around with any weaponry within arm's reach, I stuck a couple of 450b rounds in a SS mag that I had been trying to smooth out to keep it from scratching the brass so badly. Chambered the first round, yanked back on the charging handle and...no movement. Stuck like a...well, you get the idea.

Spent the next ten minutes unsuccessfully trying to dislodge the chambered round, saying words my mama never taught me, while considering how I was going to pry the BCG open without wrecking a brand-new rifle. Just before getting onto the forum here to ask how to pry open an AR action, while simultaneously looking like a complete goober, I noticed the barrel cot was looking a mite puckered up. Light comes on, and goober factor drops way down...

Seems a nice tight chamber plus barrel cot covering all access to the atmosphere equals "stuck" round.

You know what? You can be embarrassed all you want, but I for one found your story entertaining and very instructive. Thank you for sharing..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 pm

wildcatter wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:Well, I can't say as I'm the proud starter-offer of a new thread with this title, but I suspect there is plenty of fodder out there to feed a beast with this name...

You know what? You can be embarrassed all you want, but I for one found your story entertaining and very instructive. Thank you for sharing..

..t

+1

Thanks for sharing your story. I do believe I have had a few of those moments with my 223 patrol rifle as well. :roll:

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby BayouBob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 am

Sounds like a match chamber to me!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 am

Yeah, match chamber alright...it more than matched wits with me!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Jeepejeep » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 am

Funny and instructional all at the same time :) . Thanks for sharing.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Colohunter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 am

It could have been worse, when you first started mentioning that you loaded up a magazine I thought you were going to say you had an AD. That would have been much worse than a stuck round!!!
Colohunter

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:49 am

No, I didn't need to get out the wall spackle this time. My one and only AD was in 1960, on the very first day I ever went hunting. Grandpa took me and my two cousins, all age 10, out squirrel hunting at his farm. We were all carrying brand new Stevens single-shot break action 410 bores and a box of 1/2 oz #6 shot. For unknown 10-year-old reasons, I decided to get a head start on things by thumbing the hammer back on my shiny new squirrel slayer. This being pre-transfer bar safety days, I quickly discovered that if your gloved thumb slips off the hammer in just the right spot, said squirrel slayer will discharge a round. In this particular case, into the dirt in front of me, right between dear ol' Grandpa's feet. :o

Severe grumpiness on Grandpa's part sent me packing back to the farm house in short order. All was not lost, however. While moping around the yard waiting for the other three to get back from the morning's chase, I got the only tree rat of the day out of the giant oak tree behind the house!

Learning about this when they got back did nothing to reverse Granpa's case of the grumps!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby bushmeister » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 am

good story commander!
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 am

Okay, everyone, by one. Get up here and testify. It cleanses the soul. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Off Topic