Looking for hogs in CA

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Looking for hogs in CA

Postby hickman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am

I finally took my Hunter Safety Course and sighted in the 450B. After a year or so of a paper diet, the bushy is ready for something a little more.... meaty. I'm looking for somewhere in Northern California to take down some wild hogs! If anyone has a place, or knows of a place, or has a contact somewhere, would you mind passing along the info? I live in the east San Francisco Bay Area so I'm sure I'll have to drive a few hours to get there. And yes, I will post pics of the bushy and its prey...
hickman

Re: Looking for hogs in CA

Postby slash2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:38 am

A hog hunting spot in Nor Cal, not hard to find, a cheap hog hunting spot in Nor Cal, the Holy Grail.

First go to Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/foru ... y.php?f=87) and read all of the threads on pig hunting you can find. You will learn that public lands are heavily hunted and the chances of finding pigs are slim. The next option is a guided hunt. With a little research you can find numerous guide services that will take you out for a fee (around $500) and put you on some hogs. For a newbie, this is a good idea, they'll show you how to hunt hogs and what to do after the kill. Try Pig Point Ranch for a first time, good folks and a very high success rate. http://www.pigpointranch.com/
Once you've got the basics down, go for the slightly cheaper semi-guided hunts, they drop you off at the top of the property and you're on your own. You kill, you field dress, and they come and pick the pig up and bring it back to the ranch for skinning. Do this till you can get lucky enough to befriend someone with a ranch or a buddy with a friend who has a ranch that will let you hunt their property.
When you find the free spot to hunt, you must immediately contact me and invite me along.

Good Luck! The 450 is one mean hog killing machine.
/2
slash2

Return to Off Topic