Chonographs

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Chonographs

Postby gunnut » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:53 pm

OK! Time to get serious! I'm in the market for a chonograph. I would like to draw on the experience of this group. I will be using it both indoors & out. Which ones work best? What is needed? Whats nice to have? What to stay away from?
Thanks!
gunnut

Re: Chonographs

Postby MudBug » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:25 pm

I have a Pact Model 1 XP and it's been a great chrono, I really like it, but the CED Millenium 2 get's the nod lately as the best you can buy without going into the expensive professional models.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:37 pm

:) I'm STILL using my original ole red "Chrony" from 25-30yrs ago. Folding model with large LCD readout, cheezy black cardboard/white plastic sky screens & camera tripod. Nothing fancy; just shot to shot velocities and some pencil pushing. This thing is ACTUALLY bullet proof!!! :lol:
:? The newer F-1 & Beta models sell for the same thing ($100) I paid years ago. 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 pm

Of course you put in the caveat that you want to shoot indoors. The Cheapie Chrony, is great, for outdoors. For indoors you need special bulbs and incandescent or Florence bulbs wont get it. Not many models are made for indoors, but many have lighting kits that satisfy those requirements.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:12 am

MOUNTIN DU wrote::) I'm STILL using my original ole red "Chrony" from 25-30yrs ago. Folding model with large LCD readout, cheezy black cardboard/white plastic sky screens & camera tripod. Nothing fancy; just shot to shot velocities and some pencil pushing. This thing is ACTUALLY bullet proof!!! :lol:
:? The newer F-1 & Beta models sell for the same thing ($100) I paid years ago. 8-)

I started with one of those way back about then too. Worked great for checking speeds, but mine wasn't bullet proof, caught a low 525gr thru the LCD from my
50-110,............... DRT.
Al in Mi

Postby pitted bore » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:35 am

Both PACT and the CED Millenium have infra-red kits that enable reading of velocities indoors in very low light. The Chrony has a LED light attachment to permit low light readings.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:25 pm

:shock: @ Al in Mi... :D I guess I should have specified the skyscreens & cardboard holders are bullet "riddled" :lol:

:? Mine always works fine indoors under incandescent lights WITH the skyscreens attached and light source directly overhead 8-) It will read air rifles and rubber bullets both... all well under 1000 fps though ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby jagermaster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
MOUNTIN DU wrote::) I'm STILL using my original ole red "Chrony" from 25-30yrs ago. Folding model with large LCD readout, cheezy black cardboard/white plastic sky screens & camera tripod. Nothing fancy; just shot to shot velocities and some pencil pushing. This thing is ACTUALLY bullet proof!!! :lol:

I started with one of those way back about then too. Worked great for checking speeds, but mine wasn't bullet proof, caught a low 525gr thru the LCD from my
50-110,............... DRT.

I have a new red Crony and it has provided good results for the 9month I have used it
jagermaster

Postby gunnut » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Huummm.... Let's see, You put this thing out in front..and.. You shoot at it..and Try Not to hit it... Might have a life expectancy of a door gunner..
So, I went low ball on this one! Midway has the chony F1 on sale for $70. The LED light opion was $80. I ordered both.
gunnut

Return to Off Topic