284 to 450B problem

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

284 to 450B problem

Postby sappersmurf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:07 pm

I am fairly new to reloading. The only cartridge to date that I have loaded was the 50 Beowulf.

I cut down a 284 case to the 1.7 and loaded it with 36 gr of lil gun coal was 2.25. The projectile is a 250 gr ftx. My problem is that the round will not cycle and becomes stuck in the chamber. On the beowulf I had this problem the first time around and it was suggested I needed a tighter crimp(that worked); I tried to apply this same solution to the 450B and kept adjusting the crimp(in small increments) until it would cycle. Now the bullet right above the case mouth measures .454 and is visibly 'bulging'. should I have shortened the case length more? any thoughts on what went wrong? I plan on pulling the bullets as I don't think it would be safe to fire but I would like to know if there is something I can do next time to get it right.

Thanks
sappersmurf

Re: 284 to 450B problem

Postby gunnut » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm cutting my 284 cases to 1.695. Not much of a diff there. I'm shooting a 230grn.FMJ seated to O.A.L of 2.15. You might want to shortin them up a bit. But! What really made all the differance was going to a side crimp. The modified Lee 45-70 factory crimp die. This solved the bullet jump problem which causes the wedge anchor effect with the tapper crimp.
You may want to look at 2 other topics, "The factory crimp" and the "Stuck case"
gunnut

Postby Siringo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:03 am

Read all the posts on Calguns regarding 284 cases and also this this site. The major problem is not the crimp -- it is the neck thickness of the case walls on the 284 cases being thicker that the 450B cases. Using .452 bullets will cause a very tight fit in the 450B chamber. Those that use .451 bullets have less of a problem because of the smaller bullet diameter.

If you want to use the FXT bullets that are .452, try sizing them in a lee cast bullet sizer to .451. Worth a try -- they are not to expensive. Just lube the bullets up and push them through. Make sure you clean all the lube off the bullets though before loading.
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:58 am

I'm shooting the 250 grain FTX in cut down .284 cases with no issues. I'm sizing the cases, seating the bullets to 2.250 and giving them a light "body crimp". NO expander die is used at all. Before I modified a Lee 45/70 factory crimp die to work with the .450B, I shot a fair number of the 250 FTX's in .284 cases without any expander, or crimp, with good results also. IMHO the use of the Hornady expander die, followed by the Hornady crimp die will often cause a bulge in the case. The harder you crimp with that die, the worse the bulge becomes. the only thing I use the Hornady crimp die for is to remove any flare at the case mouth caused by the body crimp. It seems to me that the FTX in the thicker .284 brass gives me neck tension more similar to what I'm used to in other cartridges. You do need to watch the seating depth, particularly with plain base bullets, as we're close to the point on the interior of the case where the heel of a plain base bullet will interfere with the internal taper of the case walls and bulge the case at that point.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby sappersmurf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:58 pm

BD1 wrote: IMHO the use of the Hornady expander die, followed by the Hornady crimp die will often cause a bulge in the case. The harder you crimp with that die, the worse the bulge becomes. BD

I believe this is where I went wrong. I modified a tubing cutter(read about it somewhere) so I could put a body crimp on it. the round all load now. I'll try a few round w/o the expander die next time.

Thanks
sappersmurf

Return to Reloading for the 450b