Scope for the Thumper?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Scope for the Thumper?

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Jeepejeep wrote:Just over 200 rounds with the Barska on the 450 and no problems so far.

I have over 300 on my Sportsmans Guide, which I believe is a relabeled Barska - http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=692173 (except mine is 50 mm).
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Billsmith63 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:12 am

I'm giving serious consideration to the Millet DMS. It's a 1-4 with a reticle that consists of etched lines and a red dot. I'm going to put it on a .223 and if I like it, get another one for the .450. Currently I have a Bushnell red dot on the .450 but think I'd be better served by something with a little magnification.
Billsmith63

Postby Technosavant » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm still trying to decide what to do for mine.

While I see the benefits in a magnified scope for getting the most out of the rifle's capabilities, around here I don't really get to use a range that's longer than 100 yards. If I ever actually get to take this thing hunting, I'm likely to be dealing with a similar range limitation (if not the range being much shorter).

I'm seriously considering maybe an Aimpoint PRO with a magnifier behind it (already have the magnifier sitting on another AR-15). It would give me fast target acquisition with the ability to go somewhat magnified if I need to be a bit more precise.

Choices, choices.
Technosavant

Postby Siringo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 pm

I hunt in Bucks Only Zones. You got see legal horns (3 inches or larger). Main reason for using a scope.
Siringo

Postby BillytheKid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Technosavant wrote:I'm still trying to decide what to do for mine.

While I see the benefits in a magnified scope for getting the most out of the rifle's capabilities, around here I don't really get to use a range that's longer than 100 yards. If I ever actually get to take this thing hunting, I'm likely to be dealing with a similar range limitation (if not the range being much shorter).

I'm seriously considering maybe an Aimpoint PRO with a magnifier behind it (already have the magnifier sitting on another AR-15). It would give me fast target acquisition with the ability to go somewhat magnified if I need to be a bit more precise.

Choices, choices.

I went the other direction. Not so much for magnification, but for objective lens size. Right or wrong, my thought was - the bigger the objective, the better I could see during low light conditions. It just turns out that larger objective lens scopes seem to always be a variable magnification, and went with a pretty standard 3-9 power.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby DFWDave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 am

I agonized over "throwing away" $150 on a cheap scope that would come apart on the first shot out of my Bushmaster, and then figured I spend this much easily on other trivia, so why not give it a chance. I bought a Barska 4-16x60mm Euro30 with illuminated reticle purposely for hunting hogs after dark.

I've been out once with it to hunt over a red feeder light, and it works quite well. It has held up to 180 rounds of .450 Bushmaster at the range without losing zero at all, and I would recommend it for someone who wants a good scope at a really cheap price. Obtained from http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-4-16x60mm-euro-30-pro-riflescope-ac11314.html

I did however shoot the mounting rings right off the rifle on the first shot. Broke clean in two. I re-mounted the scope using a pair of steel rings. The ones that come with it are some kind of porous cast unobtaineum and don't hold up.
DFW Dave
Bedford, TX
Bushmaster XM-15 E2S .450BM
ATN MK390 night vision for night hunting
Barska 4-16x60 Euro30 IR for twilight hunting
Aviator, Scuba diver, Videographer, Adventurer
DFWDave

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 pm

I use a Barska / Sportsman's Guide 4-12x50 which I obtained from Sportsman's Guide. It is similar to this one, http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=692173, which is 42mm and about $80. I have over 400 rounds through it with no problems (except that I had to blue loctite the bolts on the rings and riser).
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby En4cr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:43 am

I finally got to shoot the 450BM last week. I was getting 2" groups at 100 yards with an EOTech 517 and not on a solid rest. I will be able to get deer with it, and I can't wait to use it in 2 weeks when the gun season opens
En4cr

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:30 pm

:D look what the ups guy left at my door yesterday... it came with scope caps too! :mrgreen:

hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby 9x19MdM » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:20 pm

:?
Ok, after days of research I finally decided to go with the Redfield 3-9x40.
I called Redfield and discussed using the scope with the 450B and the guy there worked up these numbers for the holdover points using the Hornady 250gr round.

3X
0 @ 100 yds
1st holdover 225 yds
2nd holdover 325 yds
3rd holdover 412 yds

9x
0 @ 100 yds
1st holdover @ 155 yds
2nd holdover @210 yds
3rd holdover @260 yds

9x19MdM

PreviousNext