Swaging Bore Runner type 458 Solids

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Swaging Bore Runner type 458 Solids

Postby MudBug » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 pm

honestly, the Sierra pro hunters where not bad, the Barnes bullets were fairly difficult.

I was using my RockChucker and it was a bit stiff to get started.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 pm

I broke down and read your report over at ARFCOM, looks like the guru of the 458socom has thrown in the towel. Surprising, some when faced with the facts still won't admit their pet paradigm is flawed.. No need to stop now, the work is good and the knowledge is priceless, Excelsior!
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:29 am

MudBug wrote:honestly, the Sierra pro hunters where not bad, the Barnes bullets were fairly difficult.

I was using my RockChucker and it was a bit stiff to get started.

Just a thought here... On some of the bullets, such as any solid and harder bullets like the 352 FTX Hornady, it might be highly advisable to to the swage in three steps, first to .456, then to .454, then finally to 451, allowing for any spring-back to.452. Although, if you wanted the final stage to be the 452 die, a spring-back to 453 is acceptable in my opinion. For the softer lead based bullets, with and without jackets, doing them in one step is very easy. So I suppose that, if one were to want to utilize all the 45 cal bullets, he'd better consider getting all the dies, which if memory serves, mudbug told me he got the extra die 454 die for something like $12 bucks..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 am

I did the resizing in two steps -- .454 then to .452. Interestingly, all combination jacketed/lead or plain lead came out to .452 on the nut. The all copper barnes ended up at .451. Going in three steps would be OK also. I ran across a thread on bullet resizing last week that took .375 bullets and resized to 9.3 mm (.366) due to the lack of adequate bullet offerings. Just to show that this is being done by others.

forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=28733
Siringo

Postby MudBug » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Siringo wrote:I did the resizing in two steps -- .454 then to .452. Interestingly, all combination jacketed/lead or plain lead came out to .452 on the nut. The all copper barnes ended up at .451. Going in three steps would be OK also. I ran across a thread on bullet resizing last week that took .375 bullets and resized to 9.3 mm (.366) due to the lack of adequate bullet offerings. Just to show that this is being done by others.

What press are you using?

I'm finding that the second sizing is very difficult, I guess all the easy stuff is moved in the first sizing.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Siringo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:53 pm

I have an RCBS ammomaster progressive. It is about 20 years old. It used to be "progressive" and I converted to a single stage. One thing I found on the 325 gr Hornadys and 400 grain Speers is to set the die so the ram is nearest the end of the stroke. This is the highest leverage point on my press. Yours may be different. I might have to screw the size die into the press a couple of times in order to make a complete pass. It is also necessary to make sure the insides of the die are clean and free from copper or lead. I had done a bunch of lead and then went to the jacketed and essentially soldered the jackets to the die. Just make sure that when you switch from various jacket types, that you clean the die thoughouly and periodically.
Siringo

Postby MudBug » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Siringo wrote:I have an RCBS ammomaster progressive. It is about 20 years old. It used to be "progressive" and I converted to a single stage. One thing I found on the 325 gr Hornadys and 400 grain Speers is to set the die so the ram is nearest the end of the stroke. This is the highest leverage point on my press. Yours may be different. I might have to screw the size die into the press a couple of times in order to make a complete pass. It is also necessary to make sure the insides of the die are clean and free from copper or lead. I had done a bunch of lead and then went to the jacketed and essentially soldered the jackets to the die. Just make sure that when you switch from various jacket types, that you clean the die thoughouly and periodically.

Ah, that makes sense, I will try that.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby MudBug » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:29 pm

tried it and that makes a big difference.

I also found that if you adjust it out even further just to start them (the hardest part) and then take it down the rest of the way to finish it's much easier still.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:54 am

STP is a good sizing lube, doesn't take much, roll them across a lube pad.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:26 am

Siringo wrote:I did the resizing in two steps --

This is great data and shows that others are actually doing what I have been doing since I was child and proves/validates what you are doing now. I was doing the 375 to 9.3 about twenty years ago, very successfully I might add.

I started down this swaging road, as I said as a child, swaging .358 rifle bullets and putting them in a .357 revolver and a 9mm pistol, graduating to all manor of cal conversions. I will say this, generally speaking, one can swage down, at least, one caliber. I have done Gobs and Gobs of .451/230gr ball bullets to .429, putting them in my 44 mag with NO ill effects. Now some cal step downs, in some bullet designs are going to split the jacket and may not perform terminally as advertised, but I say it again, generally speaking it's of no consequence, in my experience, of course one must exercise caution and wisdom..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b