what caliber to make me look good?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: what caliber to make me look good?

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Stealthshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Veddy interesting! Savage makes some of the best stuff you can buy...I've had several, and they were all "top drawer".
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:17 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Veddy interesting! Savage makes some of the best stuff you can buy...I've had several, and they were all "top drawer".

I have two Model 12 Varminters and a Model 11. I also have a couple of additional caliber barrels in case I need some variety. They are exceptional shooters for off-the-shelf guns. If you're pondering your first Savage, I'm not sure I would go with the F-Class as its kinda mission specific. That is unless you're pondering it for F-Class shooting. Do consider the Model 12 BVSS platform. It will shoot up there with a lot of more expensive brands, yet you can barrel it for varmint hunting, walk around hunting, you name it. It's a flexible platform. When you wind up getting one, seriously consider joining SavageShooters.com as they're a bunch of down to earth types, just like here and always climbing over one another to help newcomers. Lot of good tips and tricks to get as much performance out of it as possible.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

I've had a few Savage rifles. One 308 that I really regret getting rid of. My next rifle will be a bench queen and maybe an occasional rock chuck hunt. I'm looking for a big heavy ACCURATE rifle. Be even better if I could watch the bullet hit the target so the 6BR will probably be the ticket. Not to mention they burn small charges of powder and there is a good supply of 6mm bullets local. If I have to I'll add weight or port the top of the barrel to get it to just sit there. I think I'll put my Burris 6-24x50 Signature select on top of it. As far as bolt guns go there are no other brands that appeal to me in the least besides Savage.
Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 pm

I would love to have a Browning ABolt chambered for the 6.5 Grendel.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 pm

Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:58 pm

I know it's not a long range rig but this really catches my eye. http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... d=030&bg=x
Stealthshooter

Postby Caseknife » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm toying with the idea of rebarreling my Rem 700 6mm to 6.5 Creedmor. It is supposed to be a very accurate, mild recoil round, that shoots long distance. In fact there are trajectory table on the factory ammo boxes out to 1000yds. I just figured that it would be a fun project, but I also just won a Weatherby Vanguard S2 300 WBY at the NRA banquet, toying with the idea of making a lt wt mountain rifle out of that, sounds like that would shurt a bit though.
If guns kill people, then...
Pencils miss spel words
Cars make people drive drunk
Spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat
Caseknife

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Caseknife wrote:I'm toying with the idea of rebarreling my Rem 700 6mm to 6.5 Creedmor. It is supposed to be a very accurate, mild recoil round, that shoots long distance. In fact there are trajectory table on the factory ammo boxes out to 1000yds. I just figured that it would be a fun project, but I also just won a Weatherby Vanguard S2 300 WBY at the NRA banquet, toying with the idea of making a lt wt mountain rifle out of that, sounds like that would shurt a bit though.

That's interesting. I have a Remingtin 700 VLS with Thumbhole stock and Timney trigger in 6mm Remington. It sits sadly in the safe and I have considered converting it to a Rem/Age system and different caliber. If you're not familiar with that system, it utilizes a barrel with Remington receiver threads and a nut like a Savage. You can change barrels and calibers much easier than a regular Remington barrel, which is probably best left up to a gunsmith to do. Northland Shooters Supply has many of the popular calibers. IIRC, Jim has kits in 6.5 Creedmor, as well as 6.5x47, 6.5x55 and 6.5x284 Norma. If that interests you, give him a call. He's an easy going fellow to deal with. His nuymber is: (763) 682-4296.

He also has other short action calibers, long action calibers and magnum action caliber Rem/Age barrels. Sorry, nothing in the 450 class though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:01 pm

I have been shooting a Remington 700, actually three of them, 6mm-284s for around 25 years. My "Bench" gun weighs in at 22 lbs. (30" blank to start off with and finished at 29" x 1.25", heavy varmint stock and a Leupold 8.5x25. It doesn't move around too much and is fun to shoot. What ever you pick it will be fun.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms