Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Postby kottke_35 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Another great job Robin!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I was pretty bad off on Sunday when we filmed, but we didn't let our allergies stop us from finding out whether or not the 450 Bushmaster still had enough to kill, once it had passed through that 7/16" steel plate. This video is 12 minutes long so enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt7SAzXuo8I
Make shooting a family affair. It is a great way to fellowship.
You might hear shots in the background, but that was not our party. That was my neighbors. I think they were trying to figure out why their shots didn't ring out like ours..... :roll:

Great video Robin!!!

I can only imagine the difference in the recoil between the two. I did foolishly allow myself to be talked into shooting a .458 Winchester once, the year before last. I spent the entire evening worrying about the surgery I had done on that shoulder back in 1998, because it was excrutiating. I imagine that the .416 is equally brutal. I've shot one of our club's member's .50 BMG on two separate occasions and it was a totally different experience than that miserable .458. Totally different recoil event with a bigger overall shock wave off of the .50 BMG, but not intolerable recoil on the shoulder itself. Of course, that particular .50 weighed approximately 25 pounds and had a tank brake on it. The .458 I shot was set up more like that .416 was. Never again... Image

Might want to spray a little Roundup around that backstop. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue May 01, 2012 9:25 pm

kottke_35 wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Okay. Why 230 grain? It's cheaper and I can buy in bulk. Pigs wear armour. FMJs have a reputation for penetration when thrown hard enough. Texas has lots of pigs. 230 grain FMJs are good brush busters. Texas has lots of brush. 230 grains fly faster than a 250 grain on average. Where the factory 250s fly around 2200FPS, the 230s when properly loaded will fly around 2400FPS and have a flatter trajectory. The only thing left to achieve is to find the most accurate 230 Grain FMJ and powder charge combination that will bust through brush and piggies.
As for the steel plate experiments, I want to prove that the 450 Bushmaster is the cats' meow when it comes to stopping ability. Be it hogs, dangerous game or from a LEO perspective, a drug dealers' getaway vehicle.
And finally, it's just fun to have a cheap way to plink.

He's right! There are certain things, in this case bullets, that serve one purpose better than another. Take for instance the recent bison hunt video. Factory fodder was used in that video, not my preferred bullet for a critter that large. A better constructed bullet such as a fmj, barnes xpb or buster, just to name a few may have been a better choice for that particular hunt. The 250 ftx seems like a good if not great choice for deer/maybe even elk sized game. Look at the choice of bullet weights in 7mm, 30 and 338 cal. Why shouldn't we look at 230gr bullets for or caliber, or any other weight bullets for that matter?

B.

You Nailed this thought, in Spades. Our Factory fodder will readily kill a ton of Bison, but if you want Bang/Flop, on Bison Category Animals, then you going to have to rethink the bullets. The Dawg has well proven what has taken me decades to proof-out for the Nay-Sayers. And the bullets you sight (namely the 200&275 XPB's (not the 250gr xpb's, as they are prolly better for home defense, where high expansion is more important), the various FMJ's with the extra Knock-down power of the FMJ-FP's being my favorites, the 325gr Barnes Busters (and I just simply love these, but bang for the buck is still with the fmj's) and many other bullets in this category of Big-Heavy Game Killers, have already shown how well they Bang/Flop, Big & Heavy, Dangerous Game Animals, under the worst of conditions. .."Nothing surpasses frontal bullet mass", using a properly constructed bullets for a given mission and move it at High Velocities, now what have you got to say? How about..."Bang/Flop"!!

.."Way-to-go-Robin"!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Let me make a clarification because it has already come up...
I am not trying to be negative on the 416 Remington Magnum. Each rifle and cartridge has a specific mission. The 416 has a specific mission. Large and Dangerous African game. It is a true Powerhouse!
The videos' intent was to show how we have approached the same stopping power inherent in the African big and dangerous game rifles but on a AR15 semi-automatic platform where a fast followup shot could make a big difference in a life or death encounter. The facts are the 450 Bushmaster can deliver similar terminal performance to a large bore high powered rifle typically used for large dangerous game, but with faster followup shots, with less recoil, good accuracy, and yet remain merciful on the pocket book.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Way ta go Dawg!!!
All I can say is "WOW"
really didn't know what I was shooting!
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed May 02, 2012 12:06 am

Thanx Gunny! Honestly, I was shocked at the performance in this last test.
However, I want to reaffirm and concede that I believe that the 416 Remington Magnum would very likely, ballistically out perform the 450 Bushmaster, but with a slightly more delayed follow up shot, and significantly more recoil. And at $10 a shot.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 am

gunnut wrote:Way ta go Dawg!!!
All I can say is "WOW"
really didn't know what I was shooting!

FWIW, I was shooting the 230 Grain Hornady FMJ Flat Points with 44.5 grains of LilGun using the LeGendre side crimp. Basically it's your recipe but with the custom crimp.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Wed May 02, 2012 7:25 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Let me make a clarification because it has already come up...
I am not trying to be negative on the 416 Remington Magnum. Each rifle and cartridge has a specific mission. The 416 has a specific mission. Large and Dangerous African game. It is a true Powerhouse!
The videos' intent was to show how we have approached the same stopping power inherent in the African big and dangerous game rifles but on a AR15 semi-automatic platform where a fast followup shot could make a big difference in a life or death encounter. The facts are the 450 Bushmaster can deliver similar terminal performance to a large bore high powered rifle typically used for large dangerous game, but with faster followup shots, with less recoil, good accuracy, and yet remain merciful on the pocket book.

Bingo! That sums it up perfectly. This round will settle just about anything you can think of as far as putting meat on the ground, stopping a "big, toothy and hairy" from getting to you and even stop a bad guy even if he's in a vehicle!
Hey, Robin, now all you need to do is get a hold of an engine block and shoot that! LOL!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed May 02, 2012 8:04 am

gtoboi65 wrote:Looking forward to that video! I want to see what that bullet looks like after it has punched through.

The brass monkeys worked very hard that afternoon and literally did a grid type search around the target area. This is all they found of the 450 Bushmaster Hornady 230 Grain FMJ FPs. They even found a couple of the 416 bullets, but those went to the owner of the 416.

Bullet on the left weighed 144.5 grains
Bullet on the right weighs 143.3 grains
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gtoboi65 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 am

Very impressive! Great job!
gtoboi65

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b