Recoil and What to do about it!

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil and What to do about it!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm

jerdebson wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
I am waiting for Walshs to get more 20' uppers in. I have Aero Precision lowers and RRA parts kits w/2 stage NM trigger ordered. Now I need to get the tube, castle nut, spring and buffer ordered.

What will you use the castle nut for?
If you use an A-1 or A-2, you won't need one?

You are absolutely right. I can type faster than I can think, and that isn't very fast sometimes. There I erased my screwup, so no one will know :D

TSD you have a lot of experience with the 450, what are your thoughts on my above post?

Well, what I know, I learned from WC,GunNut,Hoot and numerous others here. But what I do know is that the 450 Bushmaster was engineered to use standard buffers and springs. You simply do not have to spend the extra bucks for
Springs and buffers. Thats not my personal opinion, that's straight from Tim LeGendre.
I am using a standard DPMS rifle length buffer and a standard DPMS spring.
My stock is a J&H Noonan Recoil-Less A1 stock with one of his original custom recoil reduction modules and a Limbsaver buttpad.
Shoots great!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:40 pm

TSD, we were both posting at the same time.Gunny responded to my questions and your thoughts mirrored his, as you would suspect. Thanks for your thoughts. I want to do this once and do it right. I will use a standard spring and buffer. My only question now is fixed/adjustable stock, which recoil reducer and I am thinking we will use his recoil pad. Does that seem like we have addressed all my questions? I think so.

I really like a forum that the members are ready to help, some places have internet know-it-alls spewing what they have "READ" but have no personal experience.

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge, the lack of BS is refreshing.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Here is a video where I am shooting some pretty warm loads out of my 450 Bushmaster. Pay attention to the recoil and the chronograph results. You can also see the Ross Brake at work. You'll know it's a cooking load when you see it hit the plate. The stock is the Noonan A1 stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpIsd9I ... ata_player

PS- I tried shooting with an adjustable stock. IMPO, it felt awkward and recoil was uncomfortable.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:56 pm

TSD, I have no experience with an A1 stock, but being 1" shorter and using Gunnys recoil pad, making it A2 length, and reducer looks like a winner to me. I want to use the 250 gr factory Hornady ammo for hunting and such but The 230 gr FMJ FP really interests me. Thanks for the video.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:08 am

Spencer says it kicks less than the 20 Gauge he uses for dove season. There is a video somewhere on my channel where he shoots it. He was a spindly, 90 pound scrapper when we shot that video.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:57 pm

TSD, my 450 will pretty much mirror yours. The only thing left to decide on is which reducer to use. Gunny has three on his site and is talking about another, if I read his post correctly. I don't know if it will be any/much different than what he is marketing now. I guess I should ask him. Once again, thanks for your thoughts.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:56 pm

jerdebson wrote:TSD, my 450 will pretty much mirror yours. The only thing left to decide on is which reducer to use. Gunny has three on his site and is talking about another, if I read his post correctly. I don't know if it will be any/much different than what he is marketing now. I guess I should ask him. Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

Get the Edwards Max.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:43 pm

jerdebson wrote:TSD, my 450 will pretty much mirror yours. The only thing left to decide on is which reducer to use. Gunny has three on his site and is talking about another, if I read his post correctly. I don't know if it will be any/much different than what he is marketing now. I guess I should ask him. Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

The reducer in mine is a custom, built by Gunny. Just tell him you want the "Sheepdawg" reducer! LOL!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

The reducer in mine is a custom, built by Gunny. Just tell him you want the "Sheepdawg" reducer! LOL!

Come to think of it, I could use a Sheepdawg reducer right around my gut about now.... Wait! Did I say that out loud? :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:52 pm

TSD, Is your "reducer" geared toward the 230 gr FMJ ? I am just speculating now but I see factory 250s, 230 FMJ FP and maybe a heavier GC hard lead bullet selection. Time will tell on that. The 230 looks to me to be a great all-around bullet. The power possible with a 450B has me ready to start the learning curve. I have lots of parts on order and hope to be up and running within the month. I haven't looked forward to a new round like this since the 6.8x43 and the 6mm-284(REM. 700s) before that. This might just round out my AR lineup.

Hoot, I will read up on the Edwards Max reducer, thanks for the suggestion. What makes you go for it?

I was looking up brass prices, 450B ran ~$44.00 and 284W was ~$32.00. I'm not sure the difference is worth the time/effort.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

PreviousNext

Return to Market