.450 + 9 Yr old = 2nd & 3rd(big one) Deer

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

.450 + 9 Yr old = 2nd & 3rd(big one) Deer

Postby bmosely » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 am

Back at it again this year. Ben is now 9 and has a great story.

Saturday morning he was able to take a nice deer for his second.

It then got interesting on Saturday night. The rut was on and we had deer moving all around and behind us for an hour or so. Some bucks were locking horns and just some random activity but it was all off to the side and out of range. This one deer was on us for about 45 minutes. I could see that is was nice, but I did not have a scope to count points as we have a 9 or better management rule. It was getting dark and none of the deer were moving our way except this one finally made a movement across us. It cleared some brush at 65 yards and I took the scope to make the call. I instantly saw some trash up high and told Ben he had a shooter. I had already turned on the illuminated reticle and daylight was dropping fast. He squared up on the deer but I knew that we had trash brush in the sight line and I had him hold and follow. The buck then hit a clear path and I gave the green light only to hear "Dad, I can't find the deer". At this point, the deer had turned on a trail and I knew he was headed away to the tracks. I made the decision to whistle to buy a few seconds hoping he could get the scope up. 1,2, "I got him", Boom; He missed. :o

The deer ran straight at us. I ran the scope down to 3, repositioned his sight line to where I thought the buck would stop and at 30 yards he turned broad side, almost perfectly on the mark, and Ben put a nice heart shot on him.

Bigger deer than my best. He may as well take up golf as this is about as good as it gets.

bmosely

Re: .450 + 9 Yr old = 2nd & 3rd(big one) Deer

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 am

Now that's a good story, plus nice deer! I think that top picture is the cutest thing I've looked at in quite a while... :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 pm

:shock: Dang! :D Congrats to all! that's a fine deer :mrgreen: and making memories with the kids, that's awesome! :)

:roll: i'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a good one too. :oops:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:21 pm

bmosely

IOU some brass from last years contest and it looks like little Ben is in the running this year too.

I have text-ed and PM'd you, on many occasions to get your Shipping Data. I even ask if anyone had heard from you, but alas, I have you now. Please PM me, that I may get your reward to you and your son.

Speaking of son, how is Ben doing, over this last year??

Please PM me soon, as I want to send that brass to you all..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bmosely » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 am

Wildcatter, PM sent. Sorry for not responding but my high power shooting has been very limited as I have been working some Kimber 82G's and shooting rimfire benchrest over at Rimfirecentral.

With hunting season back in, the Big Bore fever can return for a little while. Ben is fine and had a great trip. He now says that the .450 does not even kick as he just was shooting some skeet with a .410 pump.
bmosely

Postby bushmeister » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 am

Wow, nice job!!
bushmeister

Postby Ghost Dog » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 am

Does he give lessons? :oops: :lol: :lol:
Nice Job! :D
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby dvrod18 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm

These are the moments that hunting is all about, father and son sharing success in the great outdoors, moments that will surely be remembered for years to come. Congratulations!
dvrod18

Postby AR_Hunter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Absolutely wonderful. Congrats to you both!
AR_Hunter

Postby wildcatter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Tell Ben for me, that If I saw a buck that big, I'd prolly throw down my gun and run away, screaming in fear. But I have no illusions, I'd prolly have a hard catching up to the TSD..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall