Caribou Hunt 40 Mile Herd White Mountains

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Caribou Hunt 40 Mile Herd White Mountains

Postby Musky » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:48 am

After spending two days out in the White Mountains of Alaska a buddy and I ran across a herd of Caribou that were about 150yds out. I managed to bag the big one running over the 500 pound mark and providing 130lbs of meat. One shot from the 450 and all four legs buckled out from underneath it and it didn't even twitch afterwords. It's a shame that the bulls drop their antlers around November cause I'm sure that he had a nice set. I'm waiting for moose and bear seasons to roll around so I can bag those with this rifle too. I'll post pictures as soon as I do.
Attachments
caribou.jpg
caribou.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 18145 times
Musky

Re: Caribou Hunt 40 Mile Herd White Mountains

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:26 am

Welcome to our electronic campfire, Musky! What a great animal! :mrgreen:
Thanks so much for sharing this.
WC, give this guy a plate of Smores!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:34 am

Man that's beautiful!!!!!! :D :D :D
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Wow!...nice! What load did you use in the 450b? :D
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Very nice! That would take care of my work lunches for an entire year.
I'm the weird guy who eats the same Venison chili/stew every day. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Great kill eah! Shore was nice not having to chase the thing all over the mountain, wasn't it? I love eating Bou, I'm coming over in the morning, make mine medium.

I dreamed of the 450 back then, about 1970. We had animals that we had to follow-up, good thing the days were still long, August. Man! Tracking them wasn't the problem, we were well above the tree line. The problem was if they took 15minutes (Normal) to die we'd have to go over some country that took hours to get to them. Therefore, strike one up for the 450b and as the Bushmeister has said, you don't need tracking skills, did you?

The last time I was in the 40-mile country there was no limit and I killed 13 and my partner killed 11, all out of one herd over a 20 some-odd minute, or so, time span. I was using an 06, he a 338wm. How far out of Circle were you? I guided out of Tok.

Say, you wouldn't happen know Leif Wilson, he's a pilot out of 40 mile air service..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Hoot, don't feel too alone in that...you could feed me the same lunch every day, and I wouldn't remember it...

what...???

:?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Musky » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 pm

I was using the factory hornady 250 grain. We went up into zone 2 and dropped in past the 40 mile mark on Chena hot springs. We had to snow machine out at least 20 miles to get in the open zone and found them around the middle fork drainage around the 40 mile out mark on day 2 of the hunt. There was a herd if about 15 just standing around. If we could have shot more we would of but with the registered hunt its a one animal limit right now. It was pretty rough cause the day we took em it was down in the -20s and blood was freezing to everything. There was even a few times that when I went to wipe the blade off of my knife it would stick to my pants and fingers. So far the wife has made jerky spaghetti stew roasts chili and a 3 bean pie with the meat. It's my first caribou and its been a lot better than any other game that I've bagged in the past. I can't wait to bag a moose up here when the season opens.
Musky

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:37 pm

Mmmmmmmm, when's dinner?????
TSD, it's your turn to drive.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks for putting the rifle in your photo. But wait, isn't that a powerful assault rifle that has only one purpose - to kill human beings. Don't tell me it is also used for HUNTING! :o

Great job. What you have done is what I think of as hunting - a little more involved than sitting in deer blind next to the automatic feeder.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to The Trophy Wall