CAST BULLETS discussions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

CAST BULLETS discussions

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:14 am

Here is a compilation by Pitted Bore on cast bullets for the 450 Bushmaster.
Thanx Bob!

Cast projectiles have been discussed continuously on this forum. Here are some of the threads, some of them with the information you need to get started, and some discussing the problems you will encounter. Some of the titles are deceptive and seem unrelated to cast bullets; read them and find otherwise.

Some of the threads have the same titles, but different questions, answers, and discussion.
--Bob
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: CAST BULLETS discussions

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Here is a compilation by Pitted Bore on cast bullets for the 450 Bushmaster.
Thanx Bob!

Cast projectiles have been discussed continuously on this forum. Here are some of the threads, some of them with the information you need to get started, and some discussing the problems you will encounter. Some of the titles are deceptive and seem unrelated to cast bullets; read them and find otherwise.

I've seen a few great compilation listings recently in posts, as well as some other good ones in the past couple of years. Can we get them locked and stickied, or duped in a locked sub forum named Reference Materials within the sub forum they pertain to?

I know from experience that it takes a lot of work to produce them. They merit monumenting.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:18 am

That's a good idea. Let me see what I can do.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 am

Not exactly sure where this belongs but...

http://www.precisionbullets.com

I dont know if anyone has tried these but i found a box of precision bullets on my bench. I need to weigh them but if they are 230 gr i will be posting some data after i get my loads worked up. There is a polymer coating on these apparently negating the need for gas checks. I will post my rant/ rave on these sometime in the future

http://www.precisionbullets.com/
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 pm

3rdgeargrndrr wrote:Not exactly sure where this belongs but...

I dont know if anyone has tried these but i found a box of precision bullets on my bench. I need to weigh them but if they are 230 gr i will be posting some data after i get my loads worked up. There is a polymer coating on these apparently negating the need for gas checks. I will post my rant/ rave on these sometime in the future

Interesting bullets. Just like the Berry's bullets I tried once, when you heat them up to leads melting point, the thin foil-like coating remains intact, while the lead runs out. My concern would be whether just like the Berry's bullets, they do not provide much springback to resist the crimp that is applied to the case. That resistance to crushing is what generates a significant amount of the retention necessary to keep those horses in the barn until they're ready to bust out.

Still, technology marches on and there's some new shift around every corner. I look forward to seeing your report on how they perform. At that price, if they can deliver velocity and hold together, it could be a boon to those who reload on a budget.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Hoot wrote:
3rdgeargrndrr wrote:Not exactly sure where this belongs but...

Interesting bullets. Just like the Berry's bullets I tried once, when you heat them up to leads melting point, the thin foil-like coating remains intact, while the lead runs out. My concern would be whether just like the Berry's bullets, they do not provide much springback to resist the crimp that is applied to the case. That resistance to crushing is what generates a significant amount of the retention necessary to keep those horses in the barn until they're ready to bust out.

Still, technology marches on and there's some new shift around every corner. I look forward to seeing your report on how they perform. At that price, if they can deliver velocity and hold together, it could be a boon to those who reload on a budget.

Hoot

These bullets ended up being 200grainers. They are .4515 in diameter. I loaded them up with progressive powder weights and couldnt get any solid grouping irregardless of charge. These bullets shoot great in the 45 acp platform though. I'm iron sighting at 50 & 100 yds. the hard cast 230 and 250's nail paper plates at this range easily. I havent worked up a load for the 200's anyhow and dont plan on going on any further with them. I also had the creepy hangfire issue a couple of times with lil gun at 37g .
I purchased some precision bullets 230 grainers which should be coming in the mail soon. I think this problem should be alleviated with heavier bullets as I dont have this issue with my normal loads.
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Ok, updating once again about the 230g precision coated bullets. 5 group shots of progressive loads of lil gun in 1 grain increments 35-40grains of Precision Bullets and FMJ Hornady .. Still Cannot get the Precision bullets to group very well (5"or more @50yd). a lot of soot and smoke coming out of the cartridges with leaded projectiles. Using similar loads with .451 230g copper jacketed , I was able to group consistently (1-2"@50yds) (best at 37.2grains) and 250 grain hornady factory was <1"@50yd) for a 5 shot group. I wasnt chronographing these yet, so there may have been an issue with the velocity of the lead projectiles. I dont think i'll be shooting any lead out of the 450 any longer. No signs of overpressure on any of the cases.
The Lee side crimp may help a bit at increasing the pressure. But I forgot to bring the chrono.
There is a forum on slightly increasing the loads for the precision bullets as they tend to lose velocity with same loads as copper. I'm not treading there, Im done with the Precision bullets, they are staying in the 45acp for me. YMMV.
Last edited by 3rdgeargrndrr on Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for posting. This will save others a lot of effort down an (apparently) dead end road (OK, maybe not dead end, maybe just a detour into an undesirable neighborhood.)
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Don't forget BD1's work which is extensive.

I must admit my experience is shy in the lead bullet realm. I use them a like them allot and have had no real problems of any consequence.

You can move them too fast and experience leading the bore, but using hard cast mitigates this, somewhat. Cast Performance, advertises, that their bullets are good to go at 3000fps. I wouldn't push that speed limit, but if you kept them under 2800, you might be OK. and using the heavy for caliber bullets, your speeds should be well under 2500fps. I'm pushing 325's @ 2150fps+- and see no leading at all, with hard-cast.

But don't listen to me when we have some really great experts here. Siringo and BD did some very interesting work, Doc did some incredible work and there are many others here that have done so too. I'd bet some of these newer guys can chime-in as well..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks WC. This was experience only with the Precision polymer coated bullets in 200 and 230 grain, not hard cast. They just havent worked well in MY gun at standard loading data. I tested the same load back to back with the jacketed projectiles.
My guess is the polymer coat shears at speed somewhat like the problem with copper plated bullets at these velocities.
I was really hoping these would work as i have a huge stash of these bullets and they are less expensive and easily available. they do work extremely well in the 45acp with accuracy very similar to copper
3rdgeargrndrr

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b